Solar Panels Are they all what they cracked up to be?

Options
Today we had a sales person around from saint solar,

Whom is suggesting that if we purchase solar panels for our property at £6500 that within the 1st year we would be gaining a tax free benefit of £787

Is he blowing smoke?

He is guaranteeing these figures, I was wanting to know from people whom own solar panels are they a good investment and do they actually make a good return?

He was suggesting we would save around 50% off our electricity bill per month.

Bearing in mind, we are a family of 4, two young children, one of us is always in the house, because of working shift patterns.

Also if anyone has had any dealings or heard anything about the company 'saint solar' and would recommend them let me know before we splash a lot of cash.

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is very unlikely that you would get that sort of return with the current FIT rates, unless you had a very large system on your roof (which would need special approval from the District Network Operator).

Also, very unlikely to save 50% of your electricity use, unless you are home all day and install extras to use the power when it is being generated.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My instinct is to run a mile from anyone quoting unrealistic figures. They can't be trusted.

I presume the guaranteed return will be specified in the contract and a commitment to make good any shortfall???
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dan2312 wrote: »
    He was suggesting we would save around 50% off our electricity bill per month.

We've reduced our leccy consumption by 50%, but that doesn't mean a 50% reduction in the bill because of the standing charges.

Very quick guesstimate of income/savings from a 4kWp system would be about £400pa these days.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • dan2312
    dan2312 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very unlikely that you would get that sort of return with the current FIT rates, unless you had a very large system on your roof (which would need special approval from the District Network Operator).

Also, very unlikely to save 50% of your electricity use, unless you are home all day and install extras to use the power when it is being generated.

Sales rep (Kane) Told us that 16 panels could be fitted. But he struggled to see the roof of our house as we live in a 3 storey town house.

We have not signed any documentation or handed over any money, bar signing for the potential benefits. that is it.
  • dan2312
    Options
    Even on the saint solar folder holding our documents it says\Quotes;

"the best investment you have ever made" By Martin lewis.
    hmmmm I have to question that, they could have got that from anywhere from anything.

Having serious doubts and will probably cancel tomorrow.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sales rep (Kane) Told us that 16 panels could be fitted.
    16 panels suggests a 4kW system using 250W panels which are now old technology as the latest ones are about 360W. This means that £6500 for a system is way too much. If you're serious about solar, I'd get three to five quotes from reputable local companies if you have such.

Our 4kW system was £6300 nearly three years ago and came with a diverter that heats the water in our cylinder before pushing electricity out to the grid. Salesemen told us we'd get about 3,500 - 4,000 kWh per year, but, as we live in the dry South of Lincolnshire on the same "level" as Wales we're actually getting 4,500 kWh. At our FiT rate I think break even will be in just another couple of years.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • dan2312
    edited 24 November 2017 at 11:35AM
    Options
    I Cancelled in the end, Cancellation manager wasn't very happy in the end neither was the sales rep.

Made it sound like I would regret it in hindsight and that I was the 1st customer to cancel this year.

But the sales rep said that loads of people cancel after the survey just to get the survey. hmmm

I think people should be wary of saint solar for the moment, they are a bit pushy and don't like people cancelling.
    In the end to me I was a bit confused, he even tried to knock me off £750 the total price, which made me even more dubious.
  • matty2767
    Options
    If you are interested in having solar though you can consider that experience as a positive. Call a local installer and get them round, you are now way more informed and be able to discuss sensibly �� there are tools from which you can estimate your generation and then from that work out your FIT income plus lower bills vs cost of the system. We are looking at a 5.5yr payback on ours.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even on the saint solar folder holding our documents it says\Quotes;

"the best investment you have ever made" By Martin lewis.
    hmmmm I have to question that, they could have got that from anywhere from anything.

If they're using Martin Lewis's name then I think they're almost certain a con or misleading as I think it's highly unlikely that he'd associate his name with any such practices and has already posted that his name is being used without permission.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure