Providing proof of residential address

Options
An employer is asking not only for photo ID in the form of a passport (also for right to work proof) but also for a separate document proving current residential address.

They are also doing an enhanced DBS. As you have to provide your residential address for that and that is where the DBS document is eventually sent, why is that not enough proof of where people live?

Comments

• sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    This is quite normal to be honest.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    sulphate wrote: »
    This is quite normal to be honest.

Really? Providing bank statements, council tax bill, etc when they have already sent items in the post to the residential address and are getting a DBS check done using the same address.

What sort of employer? Commercial organisations? Charities? Public sector?
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These days all of the above, it all depends just how important getting the job is to you.
    If you are not happy with supplying the info try finding a company that does not require these items and go with them
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As you have to provide your residential address for that and that is where the DBS document is eventually sent, why is that not enough proof of where people live?

Is it sent to you when you've not paid for it?

I've certainly never seen sight of the certificate to a home address when an employer has paid.

I got stiffed lots of times paying for CRB's charges back in 2012 when I worked in care and always received it to the home address then only - I presume simply because I was the one paying for it, to understand the above.

Is it really a hardship to get a couple of bill's PDFs or paper copies ready.
    Even caught unawares I was able to convert and upload couple of bills from online log in accounts, when using someone else's computer when needing to start DBS check online when a job start date commanded I do so with just hours to get the checks underway. I then had to go as an extra journey to present myself with ID to the employer next working day.

Look up home office penalties when ID checking isn't handled right.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An employer is asking not only for photo ID in the form of a passport (also for right to work proof) but also for a separate document proving current residential address.

They are also doing an enhanced DBS. As you have to provide your residential address for that and that is where the DBS document is eventually sent, why is that not enough proof of where people live?

Normally you can't use the same document for multiple purposes so its typically normal to have to have two copies of things that ultimately hold the same information - a photocard driving licence is one such example as you can use it for either proof or address or proof of name/ID but not for both.

Because it seems to be the norm that documents cannot be accepted that are printed from the internet (including for some strange reason the banks themselves when they need proof, even more so when you're already banking with the one you're applying to!) this is why I keep one document deliberately paper-based as a get-out-of-jail free card for just this situation - council tax statement.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    Is it sent to you when you've not paid for it?

I've certainly never seen sight of the certificate to a home address when an employer has paid.

I got stiffed lots of times paying for CRB's charges back in 2012 when I worked in care and always received it to the home address then only - I presume simply because I was the one paying for it, to understand the above.

Is it really a hardship to get a couple of bill's PDFs or paper copies ready.
    Even caught unawares I was able to convert and upload couple of bills from online log in accounts, when using someone else's computer when needing to start DBS check online when a job start date commanded I do so with just hours to get the checks underway. I then had to go as an extra journey to present myself with ID to the employer next working day.

Look up home office penalties when ID checking isn't handled right.

DBS definitely is sent to the home address of the subject person. (CRB was different IIRC because documents were sent to both the potential employer and the subject.)

For DBS the most that the employer gets is the reference number and either that there appear to be no adverse comments or that there may be something which the employer will want to check. They need to get the candidate to bring in the original DBS certificate.

The Border Agency seems only to be concerned with the right to work which is established by the passport OR ID documents like birth (and marriage for change of name) certificates and driving licence. So right to work not that you live at a particular address which can be much more difficult for people who may be young or sofa surfing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure