Options
123457»

Comments

• fizz
    fizz Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StevenB12 wrote: »
    When this time of the year comes up again I always ask friends etc what they are buying family/loved one's/partners etc for christmas or how much they are planning to spend etc, and when they ask me they always look in shock as to how much I spend on people:rotfl:

Is there a line to be drawn on how much christmas should cost, though?
    Last year I think for..my dad/mam/sister/girlfriend/girlfriends family (mam/2 sisters/ 3 kids to one of her sisters/a sisters boyfriend) and then my grandma etc I probably spent around 1800 or so..

When ever I ask friends and that it's always a very low figure, and it's not that that is what they can afford it's just what they choose to spend, am I being to generous when it comes to presents?

[purplesignup][/purplesignup][/QUO

Roughly £1000 DD, Mom, Mom's friend, Brother, Niece...that's it. Stopped buying for everyone else about 3 years ago. Also got 2 of these as birthdays this month so £1500 spend probably this month:eek:

fizz.xx
    20p Savers Club 2013 #17 £7.80/£120.00
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm visiting extended family this year so I usually buy the adults chocolates and wine (about £20 for a couple) and the two children a gift of about £20 each. My husband retired this year so we spent £10 on the kids each but it doesn't look like much so I will probably buy them a book too.

My husband's brother always buys us expensive chocolates and champagne so I usually spend about £30-£40 on them. This year though its down to about £20. I have spent £180 on my husband and he has also bought himself some new shoes and a coat. My son and daughter I usually spend £300 each on them but that will have to decrease a bit next year. So it must be approaching £1,000 this year I should think.

The food I have no idea yet how much it will cost.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 December 2017 at 2:57AM
    Options
    God i'm going to actually add this up as I dread to think:

Friend #1 - £16.00
    Friend #2 - £11.50
    Friend #3 - £31.99
    Friend #4 - £31.50

Stepdad £23.99
    Mum £49.44
    Dad £25.00 + Meal (still to come)
    Niece #1 £40.49
    Niece #2 £30.99
    Nephew £57.71

Friend's dog (I know!) £3.99
    2x cats (My cats) £82.93
    4x dog bones £6.00

Then just the usual sellotape/blu tac/cards & stamps/wrapping paper & gift bags & boxes lol
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    I spend,
    £150 on eldest son (35)
    £100 on youngest son and partner in Australia (cash)
    £100 each on two young grandchildren in Australia (cash)
    £70 on husband. We have made a pact in the last few years not to spend much on each other as we don’t really want anything much so it’s just a token really.
    £10 on a friend.

The rest of my extended family all decided to stop giving presents years ago, although I still buy my elderly parents a couple of foodie gifts. We think it’s a time to get together rather than buying “stuff”.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am trying to reduce my Christmas expenditure as realise that my grown up kids are not impressed with the ‘surprises’ I buy year after year.
    I spend as follows
    24 year old =£120 (includes £100 cash)
    21 year old = £120 (includes £100 cash)
    14 year old = £200 (includes secondhand iphone SE costing £140.
    Husband = £90
    Son’s girlfriend = £50
    Sister / Dad / Niece / Nephew =£100 in total
    Auntie =£20.
    TOTAL = £700.
    (Didn’t realise I had spent that much!!!)
    Money SPENDING Expert

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    A few years ago as an extra present I bought an elderly auntie "A Lark's Rise to Candleford" It was a hardback copy in a charity shop for a pound.

She died a few years later and when we were helping clear the house that book was still there. She normally passed on books and magazines to other family members so I was touched that she had really appreciated it.

It is not all about money but finding things that are needed or wanted and sometimes what is most appreciated costs less than other things.

This.

'We' (me) have quite a few family members and I have certain friends I buy for - mostly the kids I pick up items as appropriate through the year. These are gifts I know will be 'one of many' and whilst appreciated have no real longevity. We stop buying for 'kids' once they have had their 18th birthday.

However I know that my Aunt loves my home baking so although I buy her a gift for Xmas I always bake something too for her, and another Uncle. Of course I'm usually rushing about the evening before I'm going to see them trying to get them baked / cooled / wrapped. :o

I've also spent hours making personalised Santa sacks for two nieces (on different years) and this year a photo book for my mum. OH can't understand why I would spent so much time / effort making them when he thinks they won't be appreciated to the same degree. To me, even if the recipient doesn't quite know how much thought / time / effort I've put into their gift, the joy is giving them something created with love.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    God i'm going to actually add this up as I dread to think:

Friend #1 - £16.00
    Friend #2 - £11.50
    Friend #3 - £33.99
    Friend #4 - £40.00

Stepdad £23.99
    Mum £44.00
    Dad £35.00
    Niece #1 £38.49
    Niece #2 £30.99
    Nephew £55.71

Friend's dog (I know!) £3.99
    2x cats (My cats) £93.93
    4x dog bones £6.00

Then just the usual sellotape/blu tac/cards & stamps/wrapping paper & gift bags & boxes lol
    You've spent almost £100 on your two cats? What have you bought them?

I feel I've overspent this year, as a lack of time has meant I haven't had chance to bargain hunt in my usual fashion. Will focus more next year.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    This.

'We' (me) have quite a few family members and I have certain friends I buy for - mostly the kids I pick up items as appropriate through the year. These are gifts I know will be 'one of many' and whilst appreciated have no real longevity. We stop buying for 'kids' once they have had their 18th birthday.

However I know that my Aunt loves my home baking so although I buy her a gift for Xmas I always bake something too for her, and another Uncle. Of course I'm usually rushing about the evening before I'm going to see them trying to get them baked / cooled / wrapped. :o

I've also spent hours making personalised Santa sacks for two nieces (on different years) and this year a photo book for my mum. OH can't understand why I would spent so much time / effort making them when he thinks they won't be appreciated to the same degree. To me, even if the recipient doesn't quite know how much thought / time / effort I've put into their gift, the joy is giving them something created with love.
    You're like me, kerri. :)

Very much 'it's the thought that counts'.
    I'm not tremendously creative but I do hunt for gifts that I know will be appreciated - I do this throughout the year so I'm not rushing about picking up some random jumper from M&S on Christmas Eve thinking 'this will do'.
    I actually bought my friend a Christmas present of a pair of sheepskin gloves from Greece this year when we were on holiday.
    They are a fab colour with different coloured fur inside and I know she'll love them.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    You've spent almost £100 on your two cats? What have you bought them?

I feel I've overspent this year, as a lack of time has meant I haven't had chance to bargain hunt in my usual fashion. Will focus more next year.

Yup, they have a water fountain as one likes to drink from the tap so may prefer it moving, a Dreamies stocking, a scratching tree & probably a senses toy
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2017 at 12:12AM
    Options
    I don't have much money to spend this year so I'm spending £25 per person on close friends and family. I'm actually pretty happy with the gifts that I've found though, for the most part they've been "ooh that's cool!" things that have jumped out as being ideal for the person in question. Some years I've spent more but felt like I was just buying for the sake of it.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure