Transfer to SIPP sanity check, VLS80 etc

Options

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    VLS has a somewhat high-ish UK bias that doesn't appeal to everyone. However, the bulk of the UK market is the FTSE 100 and that is dominated by international companies, so the performance of UK equities is not actually as tightly tied to the performance of the UK economy as a whole as one might imagine.

So yes, you could pick something else that would probably work just as well over the long term.

More concerning for me is that it is extremely concentrated in a handful of industries.
  • Matt002
    Matt002 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks chaps. Just for interest I have considered the funds below and looked at lists of similar ones but nothing else jumped out in the sector mainly as the fees are a lot higher on others. Am I missing any others that are worth considering?

Vanguard Lifestrategy 80
    HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic

L&G multi index 6
    Blackrock consensus 85

The top two in the list have similar performance history and the bottom two are also quite similar to each other but there is a bit of a performance gap between the two pairs.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    All good choices. My preference would be the L&G due to the reduced US exposure, improved EM exposure still with some home bias. But I cannot get it on the Halifax SD platform so I am in VLS.
  • Matt002
    Options
    The accumulation version of HSBC global strategy dynamic doesnt seem to be avilable to buy on the new interactive investor platform, the income version is though!

Is this a common occurancd or an oversight / site error? Why would they offer one and not the other?
  • Alexland
    edited 11 November 2017 at 2:09PM
    Options
    The cynic in me wonders if they just want the fees for reinvestment. I do wonder how much consideration goes into fund selection. I understand a lot of the profits in the platform market are by matching buy/sell transactions so it might be in their interests to restrict choice where they can get away with it, especially on the popular funds to increase the probability of a match on any particular day.
  • Matt002
    Options
    Yeah, I hadn't considered that. They offer both on the cautious fund but not on the others...

It would appear you could buy it on the old II platform but not the new one too.
  • Matt002
    Options
    I guess with the 90 quid of trading credit you build up over the year on ii if I did 3 fund purchases a month on the regular investment scheme that would only use 36 quid. That would leave me up to 5 "free" trades which could be used for things like reinvestment?
  • Alexland
    edited 11 November 2017 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Yes you could use your credits to reinvest dividend. Or drop them a message and ask for the fund?

I think next year when I should have another £100k+ to split out of my workplace pension I will go L&G with Interactive Investor. My pensions are like gremlins spawning out of Gizmo's back.

The VLS in my Halifax will probably be fine for the next 20+ years until retirement. I deliberately don't know which button would deal on Halifax anyway as it was an in specie transfer and one of the reasons I chose them was that dealing costs are so high I would never be tempted to tinker!

Alex
  • Matt002
    Options
    Well I just called them up and they had a quick look into it for me. The accumulation version is listed on the internal system and I could trade over the phone on it so they think its just an omission from the website. They are going to try and kick off getting it added to the website on Monday and give me a call back to let me know.

They couldn't see why it wouldnt be there but said they need to check with the powers that be who work mon to fri.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Matt002 wrote: »
    Thanks chaps. Just for interest I have considered the funds below and looked at lists of similar ones but nothing else jumped out in the sector mainly as the fees are a lot higher on others. Am I missing any others that are worth considering?

Vanguard Lifestrategy 80
    HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic

L&G multi index 6
    Blackrock consensus 85

I would pick whichever has the lowest UK exposure, so almost certainly not VLS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure