Family loan tied in with inheritance

Options
13»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I don't think a DOV is appropriate in this case but to be on the safe side you should check with a solicitor. If you are insistent on doing this I would do that anyway to get a proper loan agreement drawn up.

A deed of variation is usually drawn up to vary terms of a will, say to divert a particular asset to someone not named or introduce a new beneficiary so this is not the case with the £25k you are lending FROM YOUR OWN MONEY to your brother. You are relying on him using his inheritance to repay it and that is the only connection with the estate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    DOV definitely not, not appropriate. If you want to lend the money then legal agreement with the terms written in, including loan to be repaid when sale of house is completed and estate can be settled. You need to make sure the money is recoverable in the (unlikely, but not unknown) event that something untoward happens to your brother before it's repaid.

Good idea to seek legal advice. In your situation most folks would say no - it's not your job to bail out any beneficiaries who are making premature plans.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 November 2017 at 1:53AM
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The OP is willing to lend brother £25k but want to know how best to document the repayment of this money when parents house sold.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A DOV between brother and OP which will say:

[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]OP gives brother £25k[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Brother transfers £25k of his inheritance to OP[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]OP, as executor, agrees to administer estate in accordance with DOV[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    The DOV deals with the repayment of the 'loan' in a way they both agree should happen and neatly gets round the need for any normal loan / repayment document – there are no loose ends to go wrong such as with a normal family loan, like when one party dies or does not repay the loan.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The deed would not be valid for IT/CGT purposes but tax is not an issue as far as I can see.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The deed would need to be draw up by a solicitor so OP can at least explore the option that way. A simple deed might be 1 or 2 hours work but this is a bit more complicated so I expect would be a bit more.[/FONT]
  • HelenFlowers
    Options
    Thanks again all. much appreciated, I will have a chat with a legal bod and sort it that way.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £25k to "cover the costs of his mortgage renewal"? That sounds odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure