Which is cheapest: Tesco or Sainsburys?

Options
2»

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've always found ASDA the cheapest, Tesco & Morrison's equal and Sainsbury's the dearest.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sainsbury’s is expensive compared to Tesco. The ex and I used to buy quite a bit of our food shopping from Sainsbury’s 4+ years ago and it was ok then, especially when they sent us the spend £xx and get £xx off and we got staff discount too from her mum who worked there. I did a couple of online shops with them earlier this year/late last year and I was amazed at how much it had changed.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did conclude after some looking into 'cheapest' that to get the "best price for everything" possible you would have to likely visit at least two if not three or more of the larger supermarkets or do several online shops. Not brilliantly practical :D

It is as stated all going to depend on what items you are buying of course. :)

If it is any further help I tend to do online and usually go with Morrisons but occasionally Sainsbury's as I have noted that one tends to have some things I want whereas the other does not, and vice-versa.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 November 2017 at 1:35PM
    Options
    I get deliveries from ASDA. Typically its price match shows that it is cheaper than other leading supermarkets but by less than 10% so it refunds the difference. Usually it finds that Tesco is next cheapest, sometimes Morrisons. I don't recall Sainsbury's ever being the next cheapest.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    I get deliveries from ASDA. Typically its price match shows that it is cheaper than other leading supermarkets but by less than 10% so it refunds the difference. Usually it finds that Tesco is next cheapest, sometimes Morrisons. I don't recall Sainsbury's ever being the next cheapest.

This may be so but only for the matching replica products. They dont have to compare their own brand items as the other supermarkets in turn sell their own branded stuff -i.e. a different item. This is where the price match deceives. That £5 refund has probably been made up by the fact that you have paid more than another supermarket for a chicken.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Dont waste money in the 'normal' supermarkets as they are a rip off.

Depends what you are buying. I recently bought diet coke cheaper in Sainsbury's than in Aldi.

Waitrose can be cheaper than anyone else if you get the £8 off a £40 spend vouchers (and only spend £40)

Aldi and Lidl, although very good, don't sell everything I need.

And go to Wilko for household goods.

Of course, if you are working full time you won't have time to shop around and need to find one store that gives you the best price for a complete shop. In that situation, I would choose Morrisons.
  • dougs
    dougs Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    it depends on what you buy and what offers are on at different stores at one time. In my experience you can't really say one is cheaper than the other because of that.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only up to a point. If you buy broadly the same products every week and move across a range of stores you can get a pretty good indication. Someone else's purchases my be different and they may get a different result accordingly but in my case it is certainly true that, excepting Aldi and Lidl, who are considerably cheaper than the rest, Morrisons is cheapest (Asda may be cheaper still but I can't bear to set foot in the place) and Sainsbury's is right up there with Waitrose, and without Waitrose's quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure