🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Start a 'cottage industry'... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Pink_Fairy_2
    Pink_Fairy_2 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    O you are lucky. I put a wanted up on the Freecyle board for material bits, ribbon and wool ( Im wanting to have a go at making bits for the hospital and womens refuge). Anyway a got a reply from a woman who said I have some things you can have, what can you offer me....!
    Hi Princess Poppypop

That's outrageous! Our Freecycle mods regularly post a reminder of the rules which include no cash transactions, no bartering or haggling, you don't give anything in exchange, if you go to collect anything that's not as good as you hoped, you just "politely" say no thanks and so on. They also say no pets, no tickets etc. It seems quite strictly controlled but works well. I had my mum's electric typewriter which none of us wanted so put it on there and it was collected by someone for a 70's plus gentleman who wanted to take up writing his novels again. A couple of weeks later, the same person advertised a rechargeable hand held vacuum cleaner. I said yes please, and didn't even get a reply. She was in my area anyway, so just dropped it off!!! If I were you, I'd give it another go and if you get any similar responses, I would report it to the moderators. Good luck!
    DMP mutual support thread No: 433 - Mortgage - £54,556, Credit cards - £4012, Unsecured loan - £3,376, Other - £419

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• princesspoppypop
    Options
    bunnyhop wrote: »
    I'm a student with absolutely no money and I was thinking of selling model essays for undergraduate or A-level coursework in history and english on ebay. The other thing was making and selling celebration cakes (I have had lessons in sugarcraft.) The only problem with the latter is that its hard to build a portfolio and so expensive to make things free just to take a phot of them. I thought I could have some kind of offer on ebay. What do people think is the best option? if you were e.g. buying a sugarcraft birthday cake, what would you expect to pay, want the seller to be able to show etc?Any ideas on the best way to advertise cheaply and effectively. I have almost no money for start-up!

Hi Bunnyhop

Great ideas but... I think you have to have some sort of hygiene certificate and have the premises you are cooking from inspected first. It may be worth checking this out.

Poppypops :j
  • princesspoppypop
    Options
    Pink_Fairy wrote: »
    Hi Princess Poppypop

That's outrageous! Our Freecycle mods regularly post a reminder of the rules which include no cash transactions, no bartering or haggling, you don't give anything in exchange, if you go to collect anything that's not as good as you hoped, you just "politely" say no thanks and so on. They also say no pets, no tickets etc. It seems quite strictly controlled but works well. I had my mum's electric typewriter which none of us wanted so put it on there and it was collected by someone for a 70's plus gentleman who wanted to take up writing his novels again. A couple of weeks later, the same person advertised a rechargeable hand held vacuum cleaner. I said yes please, and didn't even get a reply. She was in my area anyway, so just dropped it off!!! If I were you, I'd give it another go and if you get any similar responses, I would report it to the moderators. Good luck!

Hi Pink Fairy,

It really puts me off using Freecyle now. I was only asking for a few scraps of material etc. Some people on there are asking for laptops etc... I wish people werent so greedy in this area.

It does seem to be the case though if I dont offer I dont get! :(
  • Pink_Fairy_2
    Options
    Hi Pink Fairy,

It really puts me off using Freecyle now. I was only asking for a few scraps of material etc. Some people on there are asking for laptops etc... I wish people werent so greedy in this area.

It does seem to be the case though if I dont offer I dont get! :(
    Obviously some greedy people don't understand the real concept. It spoils it for the majority who use it well. Only today someone was desperate for a washing machine as their's had just broken down completely. In the same post, someone was offering one as they had just bought a new one! That's how it ought to work. I'm sorry your area is not as good. In theory they should all be the same, as they should all work to the same rules.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 433 - Mortgage - £54,556, Credit cards - £4012, Unsecured loan - £3,376, Other - £419

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• princesspoppypop
    Options
    Obviously some greedy people don't understand the real concept. It spoils it for the majority who use it well. Only today someone was desperate for a washing machine as their's had just broken down completely. In the same post, someone was offering one as they had just bought a new one! That's how it ought to work. I'm sorry your area is not as good. In theory they should all be the same, as they should all work to the same rules.

It makes me a bit sad that someone cant do something to help another out, without expecting something in return!
  • Pink_Fairy_2
    Options
    It makes me a bit sad that someone cant do something to help another out, without expecting something in return!

Wouldn't the world be a much better place if people did more of that? If only everyone could do one small thing to help another. Have you ever seen the film "Pay it Forward"? That's what it's all about. People could learn a lot from that.

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• princesspoppypop
    Options
    Wouldn't the world be a much better place if people did more of that? If only everyone could do one small thing to help another. Have you ever seen the film "Pay it Forward"? That's what it's all about. People could learn a lot from that.

Glad to see Im not the only one who feels the same way. Ive seen Pay It Foward- what a great film.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Speaking of freebies, I have never used freecycle but my challenge does involve free stuff because I'm planning to recycle leftovers into sellable items. Offcuts of wood, board and card have all been delivered by local business but they know what it's for and are more than happy to have somewhere to dispose of their 'rubbish'. I showed the guy a couple of my ideas and just had to laugh when he came back yesterday and showed me one he'd made for himself because he thought it was such a great idea! :rotfl: That has to be a compliment of some sort, surely. :cool: Gone to rake in the big green bag of goodies to see what he's delivered. I also emailed the supplier to complain about the missing glue sticks from my gluegun and they are sending me a replacement pack on Monday. :D
    How sad is that? I'm excited about playing with my new hot glue gun and almost, ALMOST, jumped at the electric saw and 'mouse' sander I saw advertised somewhere on here for £10 :o I'll still get really annoyed if I break a nail, though :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I've set myself a challenge to run along side this one, I'm aiming to make 3 items a week to bulk up my stock & reduce my craft stash. I know 3 items a week isn't a lot, but I don't have a lot of free time, what with work & the lodger, who lurches from crisis to crisis.
    I'm not starting till next week as I'm aiming to finish a body warmer for DGD due imminently & take all the pics & do the listing for my Ebay stuff.
    I think Plantation dolls will be my first make.
    I'm also looking for ideas, I have a huge length of cotton jersy in a rather violent salmon pink & also some satin in ruby red & kingfisher blue, about a meter of each. Usually when I look at fabric, it cries out to me & tells me exactly what in wants to be made into, but nothing at all springs to mine with either the jersey & satin.
    I'll post pics of what I make on my blog, but be warned, due to the cause of my divorce, some parts of my blog are Xrated.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • cassey1
    cassey1 Posts: 1,531 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    good luck on your challege. Colours sound fab,cant think of any ideas at the moment,been a long long day!!. i will have a think and get back to you. Your blog sounds interesting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure