• Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 12:07PM
    Options
    gocat wrote: »
    Morning all :wave:

My DS just telling me about this.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/iceland-supermarkets-giving-free-ice-13227205

Any NHS workers here :D

This is where the newspaper's, and supermarket's, idea of free becomes my idea of 'free'. It appears that NHS workers cannot simply take evidence of their NHS employment to an Iceland store and pick up ice cream and pizza free. Instead they have to use a voucher. But, to get the voucher(s), they need to have their Iceland Bonus Card swiped at the till. Whilst the Bonus Card is free of charge and this assumes the worker has a Card already or can get one in time to use the promotion, who would produce a Bonus Card without buying something? Is this a case that you can have a Bonus Card swiped without buying anything and be given the vouchers(s)? In any event, it is encouraging trips to the store and to the till in order then to get the voucher for the ice cream. Those able to take part in the promotion are likely those that have Bonus Cards already thus are regular Iceland shoppers.

In other words, it's the store taking money, money, money from purchases of shoppers, including NHS shoppers, buying stuff there in order to get a "free" ice cream/pizza. It's about getting people into the store, having already visited the store to have their Bonus Card swiped, and likely buying other things each time they are there. It's their idea of free. But it's not my idea of free; as ever, the cost of the ice cream and pizza are within the cost of other products being bought. In any event, whilst certainly worthy to 'give' something to NHS workers and therefore makes the store look good in the eyes of the public (therefore arguably giving people a positive image of Iceland, itself helping attract people to shop there and give the store money for goods), the 'free' ice cream and pizza is being paid for by customers generally (unless it is that the manufacturers are using it as a promotional tool for them to get the retailer to sell more of the same ice cream/pizza, if the customer has a positive experience with it and then like s it and buys it in future). Everything "free" is paid for by someone in the end - even if it falls on customers generally or consumers generally, i.e. all of us. Commercial broadcasting stations have been usually free to watch and still are to people that have "Freeview" for example - some are now effectively paid for through subscriptions or various packages - but, back in the old days, when they were more generally free to watch, of course they were paid for by everyone that bought advertised goods or services through the advertising that funds them. We all end up paying for what is "free" in the end.

The Bonus Card is a loyalty card for people that shop there. In other words, people that are shopping there are those that are giving the store money through buying good there and thus the ones paying for the "free" ice creams and pizzas. Not as simple it seems as being an NHS worker, that doesn't shop at Iceland, and just taking some free ice cream and pizza from them.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,023 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    emerald21 wrote: »
    Us women aren t daft you know ;)

Costa s on wuntu now

and Good Morning all :)

So you are saying I will have to go to the referral board if I want my free jar of Nutella :(
    I think....
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    So you are saying I will have to go to the referral board if I want my free jar of Nutella :(

Yes. Unless you randomly send a message to an Elite who is online now :)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • diluvsdiscounts
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »

You're living dangerously :rotfl:
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Tinyshoes wrote: »

Still one of these at Graves3nd if anyone is interested :D
  • P2TKL
    P2TKL Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I love decluttering too but always time consuming when you're a bit of a hoarder:rotfl:

I got my first invite from Kantar in a very long time. It came at 1.05 when I was safely tucked up in bed. Get what you were all on about now.
    Of course spaces were all gone the time I logged in;)

Me too.....mine also came at 1.05. I wish they would review this. I don't think I will ever get my reply in quick enough if they continue to send invites at this hour in the morning!!:mad:
  • emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Coughee and chocolate muffin, TY WonTwo

I bought a pack of 5 small bottles of syrups with two codes and paid £1.05. £7.50 in Debenhams.

A nice line in Tesco called The Hearty company lots of frozen boxed meals and a lot only 65p .How good is that ? Mac and cheese, chicken curry and rice, pasta in tomato sauce with a bit of cheese, even nicer with more cheese lol and many others. Worth a look. :)
  • Freewheeling
    Options
    emerald21 wrote: »
    I bought a pack of 5 small bottles of syrups with two codes and paid £1.05. £7.50 in Debenhams.

A nice line in Tesco called The Hearty company lots of frozen boxed meals and a lot only 65p .How good is that ? Mac and cheese, chicken curry and rice, pasta in tomato sauce with a bit of cheese, even nicer with more cheese lol and many others. Worth a look. :)

I think that Tesco have just rebranded some of their value range as 'The Hearty Company'. A bit like when they started making up fake farms for their fruit and vegetables.
  • Jeremiah_T_Stone
    Jeremiah_T_Stone Posts: 751 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Good afternoon shipmates :wave:

I'm so excited - I posted a pic a couple of months ago of a beautiful dragonfly laying her eggs in my pond.
    Well, they have hatched and I can see lots of dragonfly nymphs living amongst the pond plants :j

Every time I try to de-clutter, I start with my sock drawer, but never get any further :o
    My wardrobe is a mess - including a leather jacket I bought in Turkey :cool: and haven't worn for 25+ years :o

But I have a really neat sock drawer :)
    Fighting Recurring Cancer
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,023 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »

Today's Top Cat is goCat and today's Officer Dibble is.....
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport