PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Drying washing outdoors in winter

This morning we had a frost but its sunny now. I've just hung my washing outdoors to try and dry it but it occurred to me that the temperature in our spare bathroom with foldaway drying lines would in reality have been a warmer drying location.

So, what's your favourite option? I've moved my Hills Hoist to its alternative "spike in the ground" location where a neighbour's huge tree doesn't cast any shade but it's not really very warm out there !

What's your best winter drying weather? Sunshine or wind?

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I always prefer to dry outside if possible in order to minimise excess condensation in the air in the house. i don't have a clothes line so just put the airer outside for the day
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I dried my woolen blankets outside yesterday, I love the fresh smell that they get. Always outside if I can.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always put my washing out unless it's wet, below freezing or foggy. It rarely dries completely during the winter, but I bring it in around sunset, and drape it over the clothes horse or give it 10 minutes in the tumble dryer to finish off.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Sunshine and a breeze, but not enough wind to blow my airer over like it did the other day (even though it was anchored!)

Trouble is, now the clocks have changed, if working full time, I can't get the washing in before dark (and therefore cold and dampness), so outdoor drying is only really realistic at weekends when I can keep an eye on it.

Using every other rail on indoor airers definitely helps - it's a false economy to try to cram too many items on an airer.

I definitely notice the improved freshness of outdoor-dried items now that I have moved away from a town.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    It's like military maneuvers in this house this time of year washing is done in the evening put on the airer overnight then I will hang it out in the morning before work weather permitting and DH will pick it in when he's home then it's usually in the dryer for 10 mis, I detest the smell of washing that's gone a bit musty before it fully dried on a airer, so will use the tumble dryer if can't get it out on the line.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Outdoors if there's even a chance it will dry; it smells so much nicer, specially as I don't use fabric conditioner or any other "smellies" on my washing.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I get fed up of hanging stuff out, bringing it in and hanging it up again. Particularly fiddly stuff like socks. So this time of year I tend to hang it up over the bath on airers if possible or over the bannisters. Some stuff I'll put in the drier.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• The smell of washing that has actually frozen on the line is like no other.

Mine's out right now - in fact, I need to go and get it back in as the dew will be falling.

Always outside - it still dries, just takes a little longer when it's cold. Basically, if the paving slabs are dry then the washing will dry.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    Particularly fiddly stuff like socks.
    Socks and underwear go on one of those "carousel" thingies; I load it up indoors on the work surface, then it just goes on the whirligig from it's hanger - much quicker for whipping in "smalls" if it starts raining.;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do like to dry the washing outside, but I do not waste my time either. If the slabs are still wet or it is below 10 degrees thsn I do not bother, so then its airing cupboard, tumble dryer or airer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure