On IVA but want to go bankrupt

Hi all
Am on IVA for 4months now, (£13000debt ) but now feel I should have went bankrupt. Rent house-no savings-no assets. I have teenage son in sixth form, but daughter recently came to live with me and ex disputing child benefit, evrything going up in price and I am in public sector with pay cap. Car on the way out , and have also stupidly kept a credit card open which now has 1000 pounds debt on it. The anxiety is killing me-up at 4am, constantly worried.
My brother suggests just stopping the IVA payments (£140) for three months and paying the £700 to go bankrupt. I feel like this would be a better option for me-what do you think? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Personally, I don't think its worth getting blacklisted for 6 years for £13k - you definitely won't be able to do anything about getting a new car or renting somewhere else, or even opening a different bank account. Have you posted a statement of affairs on the Debt-free board? If I where you, I would look into seeing if I could reduce living costs or earn more money, before contemplating bankruptcy.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wonder why a debt relief order was not mentioned to you prior to signing up for the IVA.

IVA`s typically are for larger amounts of debt £30,000 plus, although there are no set limits, they cost a lot to set up and maintain, which is why a lot of them are mis-sold.

Posting your SOA on the DFW board will tell us which option would best suite you, link here :

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Magoo2516,

I would suggest you look at the terms and conditions of your IVA carefully, and make sure you get free advice from one of the debt charities before you stop your payments. You may find that the IVA is destined to fail if you have kept credit outside of the IVA (this is normally a breach of the contract).

You may be correct that an IVA was not the best option, but you need to discuss your options in more detail to establish if bankruptcy or a DRO would be that much better. In bankruptcy, not only would it cost you £680 to apply, but if you have more than £20 per month available, in surplus income, that will be taken for 3 years in an Income Payment Arrangement (which could mean bankruptcy costs you over £5000) plus the negative implications of the bankruptcy. And a DRO would be unsuitable if you have more than £50 per month surplus.

You also mentioned that your car was on its last legs, so you need to consider how you would repair/ replace this in any of these options (all would be difficult). I think a SOA would help others to further assist you.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Personally, I don't think its worth getting blacklisted for 6 years for £13k - you definitely won't be able to do anything about getting a new car or renting somewhere else, or even opening a different bank account. Have you posted a statement of affairs on the Debt-free board? If I where you, I would look into seeing if I could reduce living costs or earn more money, before contemplating bankruptcy.

Her IVA will have already have shafted her credit rating, it gets treated exactly the same as a bankruptcy for credit purposes.
  • amstel2
    amstel2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Her IVA will have already have shafted her credit rating, it gets treated exactly the same as a bankruptcy for credit purposes.

Quite agree. Remember if you see through the 6 years of the IVA it will still be on your cr file for another 6 years after so your file is rubbish for 12 years.

Go BR falls off after 6 years. Granted it will be on the London Gazette forever but that's only an issue for mortgage applications.

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago re a mis-advised DPP & IVA & i owed a lot more. I cancelled my IVA after 3 months used the money saved to go BR with an IPA under half of what the IVA payment was. It was the best thing i ever did my only regret is that i didn't do it sooner.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Not quite right on it being on gazette forever. It's on for the usual 12 months whilst your bankrupt then when discharged. 3 months.
  • db2016 wrote: »
    Not quite right on it being on gazette forever. It's on for the usual 12 months whilst your bankrupt then when discharged. 3 months.

That isn't correct.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just to clarify, any bankruptcy/insolvency, only shows on your file for 6 years, no exceptions.

Nothing to do with bankruptcy lasts forever, after 6 years you get a clean slate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Just to clarify, any bankruptcy/insolvency, only shows on your file for 6 years, no exceptions.

Nothing to do with bankruptcy lasts forever, after 6 years you get a clean slate.

Except if you apply for a mortgage. If you are asked if you have ever been bankrupt, and you likely will be asked, you legally have to answer truthfully. This could have an effect on whether or not you are accepted for a mortgage and if you are accepted, what interest you will be charged. In this respect bankruptcy will follow you forever.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Your name and address will be open for anyone to search on the London Gazette. That will be available for a lot longer than 6 or even 12 years.

Some insurers ask have you ever been bankrupt also.

Future landlords or employers could easily google your name and find your bankruptcy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure