MSE News: Digital 16-25 Railcards now available

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
3 replies 2.3K views
Former_MSE_Megan_FFormer_MSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 Posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Good news for anyone who's prone to forgetting their railcard - from today anyone getting a new 16-25 Railcard can get it in digital form and store it on their phone...
Read the full story:
'Digital 16-25 Railcards now available'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Who forgets their card? if you regularly use the train, you most probably never take it out of your wallet or purse. So when I'm in the queue with my card and cash, waiting, someone in front will have to find their phone in their bag, unlock it, open the app, and open the digital card. Takes longer. Or if the attendant checker wants to check your ticket on the train, you'd have to do the same.

What if you lose your phone, it runs out of battery, or you have no service data/reception to load the app.

I can see where this is going. In a few years, there will be an extra £5 charge if you want a physical card instead of digital, and then they will abolish it altogether. It's forcing people to do it a certain way.

Cards all the way, it's easier and quicker and more reliable. Not a fan of big brother.
  • LinguaLingua Forumite
    208 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    aj23 wrote: »
    Who forgets their card? if you regularly use the train, you most probably never take it out of your wallet or purse. So when I'm in the queue with my card and cash, waiting, someone in front will have to find their phone in their bag, unlock it, open the app, and open the digital card. Takes longer. Or if the attendant checker wants to check your ticket on the train, you'd have to do the same.

What if you lose your phone, it runs out of battery, or you have no service data/reception to load the app.

I can see where this is going. In a few years, there will be an extra £5 charge if you want a physical card instead of digital, and then they will abolish it altogether. It's forcing people to do it a certain way.

Cards all the way, it's easier and quicker and more reliable. Not a fan of big brother.

Hardly Big Brother. Some people don't want 1001 cards clogging up their wallet or purse. There are so many cards or pieces of paper to keep in your pocket that it's easier to keep them on a phone. I presume that if you don't have your card on you, then you can present it afterwards? In which case, your phone dying is unimportant because you can just prove it later.

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Lingua wrote: »
    Hardly Big Brother. Some people don't want 1001 cards clogging up their wallet or purse. There are so many cards or pieces of paper to keep in your pocket that it's easier to keep them on a phone. I presume that if you don't have your card on you, then you can present it afterwards? In which case, your phone dying is unimportant because you can just prove it later.

Lingua

Storing railcard on your phone, tracking exactly where you are and where you're going to? No, doesn't sound like big brother. :rotfl:

Who has 1001 (I know you're using hyperbole) cards in their wallet? I don't. I only carry what I need to use. People have and carry as many as they choose and use. If I or anyone else wants a card, then that should always be the case.

As I highlighted previously, it's not easier to keep everything on a phone. If you lose your phone, you lose it all, and it's a massive hassle to get it all sorted on a new phone and accessing your apps/accounts to prevent someone from misusing the info on your phone.

I never use the train or buy a ticket without my rail card, I always have it with me on journeys, as 99% of everyone usually does because they know they pay more without it. You can't buy a ticket at the desk without presenting it, and using self-serve means that you need it in case your are checked on the train or barrier.

Actually no, if you can't prove your permitted discount on the spot, you get fined and you have to pay it straight away in the presence of the attendant.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides