2nd Default issued by Co-op Bank

Options
I entered into a DMP in February 2010 and one of my creditors was a Current Account with the Co-operative Bank, paying them £5.00 a month. They issued a default on my credit file in 6th April 2010, which came off my credit file on 5th April 2017.

Imagine my horror this morning when I happened to go on my Noddle account to find the Co-op have imposed another default on my credit file on 2nd October 2017, despite the fact that I have paid them £5.00 per month without fail. They gave me absolutely no warning of this second default.

I phoned the Co-op but the Debt Recovery Unit do not work weekends. Somebody is going to get a right roasting from me on Monday morning :mad: :mad:.

Am I right in saying they cannot default me twice?
DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
28th October 2019 -
£13,505 - 27% paid off.
Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,979 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You cannot be defaulted for the same debt twice, that is correct.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    But do check the other CRAs

And do send a complaint in writing

And check your dates - the first default should have dropped off after 6, not 7, years
  • Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. I have drafted a written complaint which I'll be posting tomorrow as well as phoning the Co-op. Will update thread with outcome.
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    But do check the other CRAs

And do send a complaint in writing

And check your dates - the first default should have dropped off after 6, not 7, years

My letter to co op was posted past few weeks for 2nd default applied.
    Checkmyfile confirmed i write to co op to suspend or remove 2nd default.
    Think any reply from co op is going to take some time.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2017 at 7:48PM
    Options
    Phoned Co-op this morning. Lady who answered my call listened to my complaint and then sought advice from a manager, She then admitted that the Co-op had made a mistake as the default had been imposed in error and may take upto 30 days to be removed.Noticeable that at no time did she apologise :( - obviously just not bothered...

Formal letter of complaint posted today. I re-checked my records and it turns out the Co-op has put a Default on this account no less than THREE times - what a rabble of incompetent idiots :mad: - these people are supposed to be trained professionals who know financial rules and regulations but they still scrrewed up TWICE !! .

Will update when formal response received from the Co-op.
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Update: Letter received from Co-op confirming receipt of my complaint so now it's just a case of "wait and see" :D
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Dandytf
    Options
    My reply from co op arrived today
    Co op have checked my default with all 3 credit agencies.
    1 default only is recorded since Jan2015.
    Thankfuly my report has returned to fair today -maybe coincidence though it had seriously dropped past 2 months.
    I’ll need to thank checkmyfile as they ad provided their advise for me to write to co op.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,979 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    My reply from co op arrived today
    Co op have checked my default with all 3 credit agencies.
    1 default only is recorded since Jan2015.
    Thankfuly my report has returned to fair today -maybe coincidence though it had seriously dropped past 2 months.
    I’ll need to thank checkmyfile as they ad provided their advise for me to write to co op.

No other explanation ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dandytf
    edited 1 November 2017 at 10:08PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    No other explanation ?
    Co op letter states they have contacted link financial to ensure they have the correct default date 2nd jan 15 recorded on their records.

Thankfuly I’m in 95% acceptance rate again for all aqua cards (though I’m not applying this year)
    80% acceptance rate Tesco 32 month balance transfer card.
    There has been a change as I wasn’t getting any acceptance rate for any cards past few weeks.

I’ll keep re paying and maybe I’ll get another balance transfer 2018 -though my largest current balance is approx 700 when I got my internal doors this year.

I’m amazingly happy that my rating has at least returned to ;re building status as it was.

Forgot to mention -I did drop full time to part time a few months previous. -part time permenantly as I have m.s.
    My wages dropped considerably-though that was best non financial decision I have made.

Thanks MSER’s + Sourcrates.

I’ll sleep tonight!
  • Chrisblue1962
    Options
    I received a phone call from Co-op on Friday to confirm they have upheld my complaint, requested default be removed from my credit history and paid me £100.00 compensation by inconvenience and distress caused - latter will come in handy for Christmas :D

Will check credit records in a few days to confirm credit records now clear of Co-op false default.
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport