Should I go to the financial ombudsman?

DOnt know if you've read my other thread on here, so here;s a summary of the situation:
I had a loan with Egg from the year 2000, someone somewhere stopped my DD to Egg, and my account is now with a debt management agency to pay the money off.
Basically i got no confirmation that the DD had been stopped, and I certainly didnt authorise it. Egg denied any responsibility for it, so I spoke to my bank. They have written a letter to me (which they suggest i send on to Egg) stating that payments were stopped on my account on 1st July 2003. They state "I can find no trace of a cancellation request on our (my bank) files. As egg banking plc are AUDDIS originators they are responsible ofr all aspect of DD collection, setting up, amending or cancelling, and if they had cancelled and deleted it, it would not show on our records"

Can someone please help.. I do not understand what the letter (quoted above) is saying, and I dont know what to do if Egg come back and still deny responsibility. Do i go to an ombudsman? Does it cost money? Help......

Comments

• I suggest you go through the formal complaints procedures for both your bank and Egg.

If this does not eventually reveal WHO stopped the D/D - you can refer it to the Ombudsman.

It does not cost anything - but you need to complete the complaints procedure first.

Maske it clear to both that you will be pushing for an enquiry with the Ombudsman, if the complaints procedure does not resolve this matter.
  • Robin_T_Cox
    Robin_T_Cox Posts: 201 Forumite
    Do exactly what your bank advise, and send a copy of their letter to Egg. If Egg persist in denying liability for the error, ask them to state on what grounds they are doing so, and what evidence they have that the failure of the DD was not their fault.

For the time being, do not waste time going through Egg's complaints procedure: nor do you need to even consider the financial ombudsman at this stage. Both are free, by the way, and will not cost you a penny except your time and postage.

With regard to the missed payments, if these are the consequence of Egg's administration then I do not see why you should have to enter into any arrangement with a debt management company. Be careful of such organisations, and be aware that the Office of Fair Trading has a special complaints form for dealing with such outfits here:
    http://www.debthelpuk.co.uk/resources/complaints.htm

It's time to get tough with financial organisations who want to dump the results of their administrative errors on the public!
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    DOnt know if you've read my other thread on here, so here;s a summary of the situation:
    I had a loan with Egg from the year 2000, someone somewhere stopped my DD to Egg, and my account is  now with a debt management agency to pay the money off.
    Basically i got no confirmation that the DD had been stopped, and I certainly didnt authorise it. Egg denied any responsibility for it, so I spoke to my bank. They have written a letter to me (which they suggest i send on to Egg) stating that payments were stopped on my account on 1st July 2003. They state "I can find no trace of a cancellation request on our (my bank) files. As egg banking plc are AUDDIS originators they are responsible ofr all aspect of DD collection, setting up, amending or cancelling, and if they had cancelled and deleted it, it would not show on our records"

Can someone please help.. I do not understand what the letter (quoted above) is saying, and I dont know what to do if Egg come back and still deny responsibility. Do i go to an ombudsman? Does it cost money? Help......

Hi Hondababe!

Seems very strange what Egg have done but I wondered how come you didn't notice that your DD had stopped in 2003? Surely you must have had letters to remind you to pay? Also, just to let you know, you can only contact the Banking Ombudsman if Egg And yourselves reach deadlock in dealing with your complaint.
  • I didnt get any letters from Egg. I had changed address, and notified Egg, but they obviously didnt log my new address....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure