LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Comments

• I have the exact same problem with tights. I swear they fight each other in my drawer and ladder each other, and then the others run away and hide somewhere!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hahaha! I can actually just imagine the drawer being shut then all hell breaking loose :rotfl: It's actually the only logical explanation I think....
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    So - not an NSD. Bought tights, a bra and a hairbrush from Asda. Tights and hairbrush were a necessity (as hairbrush seems to have run off with the tights?!) the bra not so much. But it is very pretty and was reduced to £5. Not great money saving but most of mine are getting on a bit and the elastics going. It will be nice to provide the girls with some much needed support :rotfl:

My time off I booked for Copenhagen has been scheduled at work and seems I booked off far more than I actually need so have now recalled some holidays. The hours I've recalled in addition to what I have left should mean I can book a week off in August as well :cool:

Currently sitting tight waiting for the Prolific/ topcashback funds to make an appearance. Also going to try and take the change jar to the bank near where I stay tomorrow rather than lug it into town when I go to work. Not sure if the one near me has a coin deposit machine though. The branch locator says "Cash & cheque deposit machine" but unsure if that's limited to notes or if it includes coins. Fingers crossed it's coins as well as I'll likely pull a muscle if I try and take it into town :o

Rung the bank today and sorted the problem I had. I always get myself in such a flap when I need to call somewhere/ someone... I really don't know why but it gives me the fear. Got it done anyway and it was quite painless in the end.

Today:
    1. Take the dog a walk
    2. Clean out fridge (as something mouldy must be in hiding - there's the beginnings of a funky smell)
    3. Shower - use new anti dandruff shampoo OH bought and see if it sorts my scalp issues
    4. Try and find fitbit

Last night I applied for a Natwest account to switch me and OHs joint account to (to get the £125 switching bonus) but I didn't get an instant decision and now I do regret doing it. My credit file is OK (I've never missed any payments and, while the debt spiked last year, it has been reduced since) but OHs isn't very developed so I feel we may get rejected which isn't great. I am not holding out hope! I do quite like our current joint account as well, so now I'm not even sure I actually do want to switch. £125 is a lot of money though... Oh well, we shall see what happens.

164 days
  • I say you may as well try with the bank accounts. The worst that can happen is they say no and you get a little mark on your file, which if it!!!8217;s already shot to !!!! anyway... what!!!8217;s the difference? But someone may come along and tell me why my yolo attitude is wrong to be honest.

Good luck with it!

I!!!8217;ve just done a first direct account (already with natwest sadly!) and my plan is to get my OH to let me refer him for Nationwide so we each get £100!
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2018 at 8:05PM
    Today:
    [STRIKE] 1. Take the dog a walk [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] 2. Clean out fridge (as something mouldy must be in hiding - there's the beginnings of a funky smell)[/STRIKE]
    There were some old chives lurking at the back of the drawer... They have been disposed of.
    [STRIKE] 3. Shower - use new anti dandruff shampoo OH bought and see if it sorts my scalp issues [/STRIKE]
    Less itchy but no change to the (potential) psoriasis.
    [STRIKE] 4. Try and find fitbit [/STRIKE]
    Currently charging and I'm making a sliding knot bracelet out of some ribbon for it.

Dog is OH's parents dog and she usually gets walked by OH's dad and we only take her if he is too tired but am thinking I'm going to offer myself up as official dogwalker. Might help me finally start to get some exercise. I was looking at gyms near where we stay and they're just so expensive.... For now walking will do :o

Silver Queen I think that's a good way of thinking about it... If it goes ahead we get £125 we didn't have before and if it doesn't then it's not the end of the world. I have no plans to apply for credit for a good while (need to manage to save a deposit somehow?! Most likely will take me years... and years... and years). Only thing is I do quite like our joint bank account. Can't turn my nose up at free cash though! An extra £125 means I'd be debt free in June rather than July (134 days sounds a lot better than 164!) I could then say I've done this whole debt busting business in less than a year which would feel pretty good. I may actually see if I can trim the budget any to see if it is possible even without it. It is looking pretty trim as it is though :eek:

If they ever offer any Overtime at work I think I may be able to make it. My spreadsheet figures are extremely conservative as I'd rather have a nice surprise than a bad one. If they start to post more Overtime offers I can increase my wage by about £200 a month. If that happens I can definitely be debt free by June. New plan? Maybe...
  • Lonelyrat, why don't you open a spare account with your current bank? I've heard they don't credit check if you already have an account with them, and then you can switch the spare account if you can move two peripheral direct debits (I moved my phone bill and Amex card payment) and just keep switching it as a "switching account".

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to saving for a deposit. I imagine it's how people with more debt feel. It's just such a long...hard...boring slog that I find myself thinking why bother.

I think walking your dog is a great idea! Will get you out and about and spend some more time with precious doggo too.

Overtime sucks but it's worth it for the extra cash. I would definitely go for it.
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    That is a solid idea... I hadn't thought about having just a 'switch' account. I could do it... I may look into it in work tomorrow. It would be better switching myself rather than with OH as my credit score is a lot better as well. I could put the Virgin card dd on it. Will need to find another one though as I have our two phone bills but I get cashback on them so am happy where they are :o I will have a think tomorrow. Not sure if it's maybe too late with Natwest as I've already applied as 'joint' but if they decline us I could maybe re-apply again in the future as a single.

I totally know what you mean about the deposit... I know it's something I should be saving for but at this point it seems so unattainable. I also really want to travel more and I feel saving for a flat AND travelling the world aren't two things I can (successfully) do at the same time. I think once I have the debt paid off my head will be clearer with what I want/ need to do. As it stands my Help to Buy ISA is sitting empty :rotfl:and it will be for a wee while longer.

Yes! Big thumbs up for doggo walking :cool: It was a lot of fun seeing her running about like a headless chicken today. I don't think she really gets enough exercise (and neither do I!) so will be good for the both of us :)

Overtime will definitely be getting done. It's a pain at the time but if I can manage between 25 - 30 hours a month clearing the credit cards will be a piece of cake. Got an email at work from the CEO recently, some newsletter type thing, and apparently there is going to be "exciting news" soon. I'm hoping and praying for another wage rise. Probably not very realistic as they upped it quite significantly in September and we've got a small increase in March as well... But hey, I can dream! :A
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    133 days

I've decided to be more aggressive with my plan and shaved a month off my debt free date. It's doable with a little bit of discipline. I would rather be debt free a month early and live a little more frugally for 4 months (4 months!!!!)

Nothing to report really.... Took the dog a walk after work and tried to take my coins to the bank BUT I'm an idiot and forgot I cut up the card for that account a while ago :eek: I got very trigger happy with the scissors a while back and cut everything I have up apart from 1 debit card. Very helpful with regards to not spending, not so helpful when needing to deposit coins. Took them to a machine in Tesco in the end but it meant I lost £3 off the total in a fee. Not a happy bunny :( It's money I didn't have before but it is a wee bit annoying all the same. Still waiting for the Topcashback/ Prolific... When I get that I'll be making a payment to the Santander card.

OH gets his student finance in 2 days and he's borrowed off me a bit this month so will have a little bit extra coming in which is nice. That will also go to the Santander card.

Only 10 days till payday as well which seems very soon. I am totally and completely skint but am doing OK. No coins in my purse though :o I had 80p at the start of the day but when I was at the coin machine I just decided to chuck that in too. A diet coke at work costs 80p so better to not have that exact amount ready as the temptation may be too much! Since going part time I have noticed I've saved a lot of money not eating at work. Even just silly cheap things like porridge or a baked potato add up and I hadn't noticed by how much until I went part time. On that note I have got food in the freezer and can't for-see needing a top up shop (good news as I have no money for one :rotfl:)

Feeling optimistic today. Excited for my holiday, excited for payday as it means my debt will be down to £2600 :o Getting there.
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    Well... It's snowed again :eek: I am so ready for some warm weather.... Fingers crossed I make it through the day without taking a tumble :o

132 days
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just popping in to say that you're doing great
    Keep your focus and discipline and you'll soon be there :D
    :A
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport