PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hot water bottles

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I much prefer the wheat-bag type...they don't stay quite as warm as the rubber type...but they heat up in the microwave and are generally speaking much safer (for children...and for disabled people like myself who redefine 'klutz'!)

Which is OK, until there's a power cut. :)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had plastic hot water bottles for years. The oldest one must be over 20 years old, it only has occasional use, but is in very good nick. Have lasted way longer than any rubber ones ever did.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love my rubber hotwater bottles the smell brings back lovely memories of bed time as a little girl with a hotwater bottle, hot chocolate and half a slice of toast.
    There's always been something comforting about them since.

I was fortunate to buy about ten hot water bottles from super drug a couple of years ago for 20p each, so any signs of wear I have a replacement. I did give some away, but at night I like nothing better than watching TV curled up on the sofa with a throw, the dog and a hotwater bottle. So much so that at about 8pm husband will make his cup of tea and come back with a filled hot water bottle for me!

I do like the smell of the wheat filled ones, but not such pleasant thoughts, the girls at work use them and over the past few days there have been quite a few in the queue for the microwave, when I wanted to warm up my soup.:rotfl:
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Which is OK, until there's a power cut. :)

Most kettles are electric?

Unless you have gas, everyone would be in the same boat.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JIL wrote: »

In the absence of a stove top kettle, you can heat water in a pan, on an open fire, or a camping stove.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was fortunate to buy about ten hot water bottles from super drug a couple of years ago for 20p each, so any signs of wear I have a replacement. I did give some away, but at night I like nothing better than watching TV curled up on the sofa with a throw, the dog and a hotwater bottle. So much so that at about 8pm husband will make his cup of tea and come back with a filled hot water bottle for me!
    This has reminded me of a tale my grandmother told - my aunt, years ago, started dating a chap, and one day he invited her round to his place for a cup of tea. She was aghast when he tipped water out of his hot water bottle into the kettle and switched it on to make the tea. I'm told she was out of there like a dose of salts, and that was the end of that would-be romance! :rotfl:

That's why, when we had the kitchen refitted, Mr LW insisted on a gas cooker. Three years later and I'm still scared of the darn thing! :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    In the absence of a stove top kettle, you can heat water in a pan, on an open fire, or a camping stove.

I started using wheat bags because disabilities mean that pouring from a boiling kettle can be dangerous for me....I doubt anyone is going to let me near a fire or camping stove! :rotfl:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I started using wheat bags because disabilities mean that pouring from a boiling kettle can be dangerous for me....I doubt anyone is going to let me near a fire or camping stove! :rotfl:
    Same here; I'm not even allowed near the kitchen knives on bad days when I have what we call "The Dropsies".
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Same here; I'm not even allowed near the kitchen knives on bad days when I have what we call "The Dropsies".

Knives!!!!....I have a butter-knife...and one small sharper knife.

Other than that I need help!...I bake bread and then have to phone Mum (who lives next door) to come and pay a visit with 'Stabby' (the bread-knife!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    That's why, when we had the kitchen refitted, Mr LW insisted on a gas cooker. Three years later and I'm still scared of the darn thing! :D

When their estate was converted to Natural Gas (aka "North Sea Gas"), my Aunt insisted they got rid of the gas stove, and bought an electric one instead.

The reason?

Someone where she worked, had convinced her that a Natural/North Sea Gas oven wouldn't brown food properly. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure