Mortgage free & able to live the dream!

Options

Comments

• SWSEGirl
    SWSEGirl Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm starting to assess how I've done over the past year financially and see if I've hit any of the target I set out at the beginning of 2017 - and come up with some new ones for 2018! So here they are:

2017 Aims:
    • Save £12,000 in joint account - Almost there! And should definitely be there by the end of the year.
    • To overpay mortgage by minimum of £300 per month/ £400 once Student Loan paid Off - So far I've averaged at £241 a month overpayments - so not quite hit this target, but increasing my OP's significantly now, and aiming for a monthly average of £300 by end of the year. Aiming much higher next year!
    • Pay off student loan by July 2017 - Done
    • Pay off Barclays Credit Card by June 2018 - Not as far along as I'd like - but determined to throw more funds at it in the new year, at least it's still 0%
    • Have 2 x NSD’s a week - Haven't kept the best track of these, but definitely achieved a few
    • Save £1200 in personal savings - Not as far along as hoped, due to a impromptu mini break - going to pop extra income into this account from January, in order to take me & DH away for his 30th.
    • For my bank balance to be £2900 on payday each month - This has been variable, I've had one or two big expenses that have occasionally limited my balance - next year I'll be better.
    • To not go into overdraft again - Have dipped in once or twice, but overall so much better at money management.

Whilst there is definitely room for improvement, I am proud of how I've managed to turn my finances around in the past year - having started the year £2k into my overdraft, with £4.5k on my credit card and only £1000 in savings - and not mortgage OP's. I was once the person who didn't check her bank balance for 2 years (terrible I know!) and can now happily say I love the feeling of security that managing my finances brings.

I'll dedicate my next post to 2018 aims....
    Original Mortgage as of September 2016 = £322,999 :eek: Paid off by 2051
    Current Mortgage Balance as of September 2017 = £316,649
    Current Mortgage Balance as of May 2020 = £276,364
    Current Mortgage Balance October 2020 = £262,480
    Current Mortgage Balance December 2020 = £250,852
    Current Mortgage Balance January 2021 = £248,219
    Current Mortgage Balance February 2021 = £246,000
    Current Mortgage Balance March 2021 = £243,434
    Emergency Savings = £40,000
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    So as for aims for 2018 - this will depend very much on what happens with my job. If I secure the payrise I hope for, or move to a different company. Either way I'm going to tailor my aims as though I am being paid more - as I am determined that I will be (sorry if that sounds greedy & grasping, I'm just aiming for parity with my colleagues, and have never asked for a pay rise before).

2018 Aims:

* Overpay mortgage by £6000 (average of £500 per month)
    * Increase pension contributions by 2% - I currently pay in 4% into my pension (my employer matches up to 4%), I think I need to up this, but am limited in my understanding of pensions to be honest, we hope that our current flat may be a source of income in the future, if we move back to where we're from.
    * Add £12,000 to savings - this will hopefully take us closer to a deposit for a new home back where we're from.
    * Save £2000 in my personal savings to take DH on a surprise 30th birthday holiday.
    * Clear my Barclaycard before 0% period ends
    * Be able to pay for a cleaner :)

We're thinking about starting a family - so savings may be scuppered by this! I'd like to be able to minimise the impact on us as much as possible, hence my aim to save/ pay off as much as possible now.
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    Am getting to grips with my FD account - but annoyingly my transactions don't show up as quickly as on my old Barclays account, so I'm worse off this month than I thought.

It's not a disaster as I have a small birthday cheque to pay in & Christmas money budgeted and sat in my savings account ready for the last of the Christmas shopping.

We travel home on the 16th December - and I'm hoping that between then & payday will be relatively cheap as I'll be at home with my family - all travel is now paid for.

In other news - the new job/ promotion is a step closer as HR signed off my pay increase - now just waiting to hear back from the project director that they can budget for this. If it does go ahead I start early January and will need to significantly re jig finances & goals. I don't want to jinx it, so won't start planning yet.
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • MM10
    MM10 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SWSEGirl wrote: »
    TGI Friday....it's been a long, stressful week & I'm exhausted. After having family every weekend for 5 weeks my husband & I are going out for pizza just the 2 of us. It's really much needed. I did consider being MSE & eating at home...but we really need to be without the distraction of the TV& washing up, so it will be money well spent.

One really depressing thing that happened today - we asked for John Lewis vouchers as wedding presents (2 yrs ago) - we didn't have our flat then, but were working towards it & asked for vouchers in order we could choose lovely home bits when the time came. We checked in store & were told vouchers dont expire.

Fast forward to today - we've finally made a decision on what to buy (weeks of discussions & making lists - the vouchers are precious, so we wanted to invest in things we'd keep forever) - and I discover they've all expired. I am beyond gutted - £1000 gone. And it was money that would be a real treat for us, and very important being a wedding present. :( I spoke to customer services who said nothing could be done. I've written, but am not holding out much hope.

On the back of the cards - it reads that they expire 24 months after last transaction, I believed we were fine as we haven't made any transactions, but apparently the original purchase
    Of the cards counts as a transaction. I feel incredibly stupid for saving them & agonising over spending them, but I felt reassured by customer services in store when we originally decided to ask for these vouchers as presents.

Bit tearful today :(

Any news from JLewis?:(
    Total mortgage when started £256,809 in May of 2011; 2018 MFW #5
    Main mortgage was £214,309; now [STRIKE] £110,716 at Feb 2016 [/STRIKE]; [STRIKE] £63,645 at Feb 2017 [/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]£10,600 at May 2018[/STRIKE]
    Original repayment date 2036; Main mortgage free date [STRIKE]July 2021[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]Dec 2020[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]January 2019[/STRIKE] June 2018:)
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    Hi MM10,

Thanks so much for checking in...I had good news, JL have reissued all my vouchers and said they will look into amending the wording on their vouchers, I am so relieved and planning to spend all the vouchers as quickly as possible! I can't tell you what a relief it was. Thank you for asking xx
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    My HR team have confirmed that they will pay me the money I asked for on this new project, still needs sign off from project director, but all looking a lot more promising. My rate will only increase for the duration of the project, but that's 9 months & I'd look for a role that could match this money thereafter.

One thing I am deyermined to do is to remain frugal & financially savvy. I want to have a minimalist January & February & try to give myself a headstart for the year.

This does change my goals somewhat for 2018 & my husband & I are going to try & save £2k a month - £1k towards mortgage OP (maximum allowed) & £1k into savings. We know neither of us will earn this kind of money forever, so are determined to maximise this opportunity, perhaps we'll even save enough for a deposit on our dream home? Aim high! :j
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    A lovely day off for me today - but almost nothing achieved, one of those lazy days where I drifted aimlessly, ah well! I did manage to tick a few gifts off the Christmas list.

Very annoyingly I lost my (new!) debit card on Wednesday - cancelled quickly & have ordered a new one, but still awaiting it's arrival. :mad: just annoyed at myself for being careless.

Sat down with DH & briefly discussed next year's finances. We're going to properly go through everything at Christmas & try to streamline & budget. I want to go through all bills & check we're getting the cheapest deals. I also want to plan ahead - for example, the months I don't pay council tax next year I want to channel that money straight into savings.

After the Christmas break I'm going yo take an extra day's holiday on our return to London, before starting my new job. I want to take that day & batch cook ahead of my new project starting, so I can go back to work with lunches each day & hopefully save me frittering! Still deliberating over a cleaner...I would love to avoid the stress of our flat being messy, but can't easily reconcile the cost in my mind. Something to duscuss over the festive period!
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi MM10,

Thanks so much for checking in...I had good news, JL have reissued all my vouchers and said they will look into amending the wording on their vouchers, I am so relieved and planning to spend all the vouchers as quickly as possible! I can't tell you what a relief it was. Thank you for asking xx

That's really good news :j

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's also a really good point, thank you! According to Zoopla (unreliable I know) our property has increased in value by roughly £8k in a year - so hopefully we can rely on a rise in the value to help us with interest rates. I just hope the current instability doesn't mean that prices drop.

My first steps in maximising our savings & making a little additional cash here and there are as follows:

Switch to First Direct – get £125 bonus
    Open Regular Saver Account w/ FD – start SO for £300 pm. (locked away for 12 months) = £3600 over 1 year = £180 interest.
    Start SO for £500 to Mortgage – call to check if amount can be split into 2 payments
    Put existing £10,000 svaings into high interest Harrods account (fixed for 1 year 1.9% = £190 interest)
    Put £400 pm into an easy access account

This should make us around £800 in the next year if my calculations are correct - which would be a nice bonus!

You will not get £180 interest.
  • SWSEGirl
    Options
    Happy 2018!

After a very spendy Christmas I'm back at work tomorrow in my new job. :eek: Ive got the proper back to work wobbles, the new job is likely to be full on & is a huge step up. It will also involve me travelling abroad & being away from home a lot. To be honest I'm pretty terrified. However, one of my New Year's resolutions has been to do something that scares me - so this is it!

The major bonus to my new job is the increased pay until May - I'm going to really try between now & then to maximise our savings & mortgage OP.

In the spirit of renewed frugality Ive spent the day organising the house, itemising our fridge & stocking up on food for my meal plan. Lunch is ready to take into the office.

I'll post an updated SOA when I get the chance.

Over Christmas my husband & I talked at length about our plans to move closer to our family in the next few years, we even looked at a few houses. We'd love to keep our London flat- but all the properties in the areas we love are upwards of £350,000 & there would be no option of me keeping my job if we moved - our earning potential would be hugely reduced. Whilst I could happily stay in London a few more years in order to afford a dream home, my husband wants to leave sooner. Hence OP'ing current mortgage & saving for a second deposit. It all feels a bit unachievable at the moment - bit we'll have to keep trying!
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories