Declaring Tax on Savings

Options
124»

Comments

• Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Apologies if this is the wrong place, but have others received a letter (received 16/10/2017) from HMRC re: "Changes to the way we collect tax from your savings interest" blah blah ..."What Happens next "We'll contract you if you have any tax to pay on your savings..".

dated at the bottom HMRC 08/2017

?
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ricky101 wrote: »
    Thanks,

Unable to load a copy of the letter, seems you cannot load a pic direct and do not use the photo sites etc.

At the bottom of the letter is references BBSI 1 HMRC 08/2017
    Mee wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong place, but have others received a letter (received 16/10/2017) from HMRC re: "Changes to the way we collect tax from your savings interest" blah blah ..."What Happens next "We'll contract you if you have any tax to pay on your savings..".

Same? Whatever that letter says, you are ultimately responsible for notifying HMRC of, and for paying the tax on, any taxable income
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have not actually had a tax coding letter in about 25 years - my only income over that time was the old family allowance, long since ceased.

I've been carefully keeping an excel chart of my savings interest since the new system came into place.
    My savings are from a small inheritance plus whatever else I've squirrelled away over the years.
    Mostly I've got a few bonds and a selection of regular savers that pay interest annually plus bank accounts paying monthly interest.

Apart from that I have no personal income.

2016/2017 I was just under the £1000 savings interest allowance. 2017/2018 - a couple of my accounts have closed abruptly so I might be over the allowance by April

Where do I stand - do I have to complete a self assessment short tax form just to be on the safe side??
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    ?
    I've also had one of these letters.
    I'm wondering if they have gone to all taxpayers, or if they have only gone to ones that will soon get a coding adjustment re interest?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Maybe to those who are due a bill for last year, not just those who need a new code for this year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure