actual salary you'll be getting

Options
2»

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If its a private company start on as much as you possibly can, its easier to negotiate now when they want you, than it is when you are in the job and they have already got you.

Also think about what else is important to you, you can negotiate on. I have never negotiated pay as as long as I have enough to live off its not important to me, my working hours are more important so I always negotiate these instead.
  • Alarae
    Alarae Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    When I was changing career sectors from property to a trainee tax role with full study support the banding was 18-20k. The only knowledge I had of tax was from studying revenue law at university a couple of years earlier; not true exposure as it was more of how the laws were made, not how to actually calculate taxes.

Had the interview, was frank with them and said I couldn't justify taking less than 20k as I had commitments already. Went back a couple of days later for an informal chat to meet the other managers and was offered the job there and then at the figure I asked for.

Now at 26k after 18 months with one qualification behind me and hopefully a rise to mid-30s next August once I pass my next qualification.

Just go in with confidence. If you think you are worth a certain amount, then you need to tell them.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I can't imagine a company that would want somebody enough to pay them 17K but not enough to pay them 19K.

Depends how many people willing to do the job for 17k there are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure