We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Do I need to use my Credit Cards more?

Hi,
Thinking of applying for a mortgage in the next couple of years.

My credit file shows 4 x credit accounts,
My bank account, A cc with the same bank, a barcaly card cc and my mobile phone contract.

They all show as £0 balance, full set of green markers for the last 6yrs+
(The bank CC shows as a -£1 as the card is in 'credit' I presume this is not a problem?)

I hardly ever use the cards (Limits of £2k and £12k) and never use the O/D (£1.5k) on the bank account.

Phone bill is around £35 p/m, all payments made on time.

Do I need to do anything else to help my chances?
Should I start using the cards for fuel or something and pay off in full each month?
Will I get extra points for this :) or would I be better off closing them or lowering the credit limits on them?

Thanks!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.