Taking Over Cafe Business...

Options
13»

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The term for what is needed before parting with a single penny is "Due diligence". Check all aspects of the business including any plans submitted in the local area for developments which could pull the rug out from under what is currently a going concern.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2017 at 12:38PM
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Theres thousands of independent cafe's across the country that manage perfectly well and provide solid incomes to their owners, otherwise there wouldnt be as many cafes.
    There's also thousands of cafes across the country changing hands on a regular basis. Every time I walk from where I work into town there seems to be a new cafe, or one which has changed hands. Some do so on a regular basis.

OP, IF you go for this one, bear in mind you may be obliged to keep the Saturday girl under TUPE regulations, so you need to look into those. You also need to understand your legal responsibilities as an employer - holiday pay, keeping records, sick pay etc.

I'd also wonder how a cafe can operate consistently with generally just one member of staff. You want a day off? Do you close the cafe or pay someone to open up for you? The dog's sick and needs to go to the vet? Ditto. You're not well - especially d&v? Ditto.

And one thing that's important to me about cafes is that they are open when they say they will be open. There's a new-ish one on my route home, convenient for a coffee if I miss my train, BUT the other day it had closed early. So now I know it can't be relied on.

I knew a couple who ran a cafe in France - it all went quite well until one of them became ill. At that point, the logistics of getting two children to school and hospital visiting in two separate directions from the cafe was just too much.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Have you looked at your local colleges to see if they have any relevant courses to give you some business basics before you buy? They are usually only short courses but a variety of them could give you a basic knowledge which you then build on.
  • gail.wls1
    Options
    Thank you I appreciated your input.
  • gail.wls1
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I admit I am naïve, that is why I am on this site. I don't plan to rush into anything.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have zero experience in catering and zero in business. I wouldn’t do this if I was you. Taking on a cafe with zero experience will be hard hard work. You need to take time to understand the basics also how to make food at the low cost to see for reasonable price. Such as how much of each ingredient to use to generate a profit
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts