"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Options

Comments

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,264 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow, so much in that post.  Well done on everything achieved already and hope all your dates for future works come together and the trades folk turn up when agreed.  I need to arrange some repairs in the house but am in awe of your organisation and energy 💪🏼  :)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m not organised or energetic really. I finally get so irritated by things that I arrange to get them done. 

I’m currently annoyed because the current tree work has confirmed that all the other things I’d suggested including probably do need dealing with, but of course the sap is now rising and birds are thinking about nesting. So I need to get the boss back ASAP to look at the rest, give me a quote and get it done. Or call the people who were working down the road the other day and stuck a card through the door…

Something odd is going on with the heating - upstairs says it hasn’t been on since yesterday morning but it has - and it triggered the overheat alarm (set to 21C) this morning. Radiators were in, but all says otherwise.

I’m also back on the waggon with Pilates, doing a 24 day daily challenge to get back into the habit. I’ve managed it today despite the fact that I have a very stressful 2.30pm deadline of a meeting with the CEO to present  something that I’ve been given no clear brief for. I had 48 hours notice of the meeting and have been dealing with crises and urgent deadlines since. So let’s hope I still have a job by the end of the day…

My mum is apparently sending another of my planters and all my strawberry plants over with the gardener tomorrow, so I’ll have to spend the weekend replanting them somewhere, and I have other plants arriving today. I was thinking of going over to here for mothers’ day, but I think she’ll have to spend it here helping me in the garden 😂
  • greenbee
    Options
    Definitely getting spendy here... electricians have been back and are ALMOST finished with phase 1 (back again next Thursday to hopefully complete it). Two rooms have been decorated (he's done a fabulous job) and I'm back in my office (I put up two extra shelves just before the decorating was done which helps), but waiting for the carpet to go down upstairs before the bookcases go in. The carpet fitter lives 300 yards up the road and has agreed to fit an ancient and fairly threadbare oriental rug as the carpet in there - so this will be it's final home. He's also able to do bamboo flooring, so I can use him for all the floors.

Electricians are due back in May to do the old master bedroom and sitting room - so I have to work out how to empty both rooms over the next few weeks. I'm hoping the plumbers can come around the same time and sort out the radiators in the sitting room (the floor will need digging up) so that all the dirty/dusty work is done at once. The incoming broadband will be rerouted to under the stairs, where we will set up a router, switch, and all the things that need to plug in (cameras, heating, mesh wifi, catflap/feeders etc) and sort out cabled networking to the office and a few other key places). I'll also use the time that the floor is up in the bedroom to lag the pipework, which will hopefully reduce noise and heat loss - in fact I might just fill the gap with insulation. 

The carpet fitter has recommended acoustic underlay for the room I use as a recording studio, and I may use this everywhere to reduce noise transfer. 

The first solar quote is due this week, and I have another solar survey being done next week. 

The chimney sweep has told me where to go to look for a stove, and will then come and check that it fits and work out whether he needs to enlarge the hearth (in which case I may choose something different). 

I still have woodworm treatment for the garage attic to organise, followed by re-insulation. It's all set up for a trainset in there, so a lot of boards - I have a plan for using them (if I can find someone to do it) to fill the gap between the workshop and the cart shed at roof level. Or possibly create a mezzanine for storage (there are loft boards in my mum's shed too, so I can pinch those). 

I've had some tree work done, but still need more. However, it's going to wait until the big tree next door has come down in early May, after which I can get going on the garden in earnest. I've got on well building no-dig beds, but now need another topsoil/compost delivery (bottom layer is home-made compost that's not fully composted, middle is topsoil, top is commercial compost). And I need to sow more seeds as so far I only have broad beans ready to transplant (and fruit bushes heeled in that need to go into their permanent homes). Next door have given me some wooden crates that I may use as part of my composting system. And the soil/compost deliveries come on pallets, which is useful. 

The decorating work makes me feel as if I'm really starting to make progress (well, that and the fact that some of the furniture I ordered before Christmas has finally turned up!).

Sadly I haven't won the premium bond jackpot yet, but so far I'm within budget. We'll see how long that continues for!
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done with staying within budget, that is an impressive achievement.

It sounds like you are making great progress on the house, as always I'm impressed.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • greenbee
    Options
    Thanks @Baileys_Babe - to be fair, I've mostly just booked appointments so far! But I'm fed up with living in chaos, and a lot of this is better done over the summer. I have no clue how I will decide on paint colours though. 
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Living in chaos is hard work, I remember from when we did this place. You also spend an awful lot of time trying to organise everybody and everything as well as make decisions about everything as well as trying to fit work and living in as well.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You are rocketing through that list, well done! 
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow, that is a list and a half, if you need a hand just let me know. But I am not choosing paint colours!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • greenbee
    edited 3 April at 9:04PM
    Options
    Thanks Kaz - you'll have to come over and see what's changed since your last visit!

I remembered to book the woodworm survey too, so that's another thing off the list. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback