How to find out from charity if a freelancer got paid for 'voluntary' work I did?

Options

Comments

• SpaceisthePlace
    Options
    Hi TBagpuss,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I really appreciate it.

From that list of possibilities, the closest one is number 5. The freelancer invoiced the charity in advance for a specific project he intended to do, so he invoiced them honestly at that point. The invoice was paid presumably on the proviso that he did the agreed work. However he didn't. Is he still entitled to be paid anyway even though he didn't do the work and was instead on holiday?

I am trying to book a meeting with the volunteer liaison and want to raise this, you make some good points which I'll include!

Thanks again.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi TBagpuss,

From that list of possibilities, the closest one is number 5. The freelancer invoiced the charity in advance for a specific project he intended to do, so he invoiced them honestly at that point. The invoice was paid presumably on the proviso that he did the agreed work. However he didn't. Is he still entitled to be paid anyway even though he didn't do the work and was instead on holiday?

I am trying to book a meeting with the volunteer liaison and want to raise this, you make some good points which I'll include!

Thanks again.

More likely - "that the agreed work got done." Which it did.

As a freelancer he can outsource the work himself.
  • SpaceisthePlace
    Options
    No you don't, as has been said repeatedly.

I was merely explaining, to the specific person I replied to, why I had asked my initial question. I am taking on board each reply and so there's no need for you to be rude.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Hi TBagpuss,

Thanks again.

He's not entitled to be paid if he didn't do the work.

Which means the charity can sue him for their money back. It does not mean that you should be paid for it.

Whether you subsequently did the work, a trained dog did the work or nobody did the work at all is entirely immaterial to the
    transaction between the charity and freelancer. If he didn't do it, he shouldn't be paid, whether or not anyone else did it.

You, in an entirely separate transaction, agreed to do some work for nothing and then did it. The other transaction is quite simply none of your business.
  • SpaceisthePlace
    Options
    My boss gets paid for work I do, I don't see this as any different. It's unlikely that she literally claimed what you did, but more likely claims for the complete project

It's completely different, because this is not an employment situation, it's a freelance situation. You are getting a salary I presume. I am not. I am self employed and struggling. I volunteered my time and skills in good faith for a charity I believe in, and someone else got paid for my work. I didn't get to claim anything. I have no idea what exactly he invoiced for, as many people have helpfully told me I have no right to know, but it's likely it was several days, on a day-rate. He had nothing to do with the project in the end, he was on holiday the whole time.
  • SpaceisthePlace
    Options
    As a freelancer he can outsource the work himself.

He didn't outsource it. There was no agreement between him and me, that I would do his work for free. I was asked by the charity as a volunteer to do the project. The same charity that paid him to do it.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's completely different, because this is not an employment situation, it's a freelance situation. You are getting a salary I presume. I am not. I am self employed and struggling. I volunteered my time and skills in good faith for a charity I believe in, and someone else got paid for my work. I didn't get to claim anything. I have no idea what exactly he invoiced for, as many people have helpfully told me I have no right to know, but it's likely it was several days, on a day-rate. He had nothing to do with the project in the end, he was on holiday the whole time.

Ah - the real reason slowly reveals itself.....

If you're struggling, suggest you spend more time looking for paid employment than charitable activities - charity begins at home right?

Alternatively, re-visit your understanding of what voluntary work actually means.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Good, so they can sue him for their money back.

Unless of course they were daft enough to get you to do the work before his timescale for finishing it had elapsed, in which case they can't.

There's no way where you getting paid makes any legal or moral sense.
  • SpaceisthePlace
    Options
    Ah - the real reason slowly reveals itself.....

If you're struggling, suggest you spend more time looking for paid employment than charitable activities - charity begins at home right?

Alternatively, re-visit your understanding of what voluntary work actually means.

'The real reason'? Whether or not I'm struggling or rich doesn't impact on the legalities and ethics of what I suspect occurred. I asked a simple question. If you can't contribute beyond smart arsed digs at me then I suggest you spend your time looking for posts where you can be helpful to someone.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do you want out of this situation?

Is it a large/ incorporated charity or a small unregistered one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure