Debt Relief Order advice please

Options

Comments

• Splodge1000
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    Well, remember how much bankruptcy costs..

Indeed, StopIt, and because of that I do not think bankruptcy is going to be an option.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, StopIt, and because of that I do not think bankruptcy is going to be an option.

Not going to lie to you here, if a DRO doesn't work because your debts breach the ceiling for a DRO, what other option would you have?

The debts will only carry on, and need resolution.

The only real difference between a DRO and Bankruptcy is the fee in your case. Other things like an IPA etc will not apply to someone without an income to speak of.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Splodge1000
    Options
    I have sent you a PM, Stopit.
  • StopIt
    Options
    I have sent you a PM, Stopit.

Noted.

For public consumption: My replies about bankruptcy were not in the negative.

A DRO and Bankruptcy are on the same coin, and have the same effect. Both wipe the slate clean and a DRO is only more effective when the debts are below £20,000 simply because it is a simpler case for the OR.

Neither a DRO, or bankruptcy is the end of the world, no matter what conditions are attached on the latter. It's the end of the debt, and a chance to rebuild from there.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Splodge1000
    Options
    I have just been in to my local CAB branch to receive an update on progress. I was concerned to do so in light of the fact that there is not much time left and fatbelly has recommended tight communication with the intermediary be established. I completed the form with my client reference number which I believe was given to the Superviser.

I sat in the waiting area patiently until the volunteer was handed a compliments slip which she came over and handed to me. This contained the CAB's response to my request. The response explained that the DRO advisers work on a Wednesday and that one is away at present but that if the other has time tomorrow they may be able to look at my case; it depends on workload.

If that is how it is then this may present a problem. There are only two Wednesdays left this month (tomorrow and the 25th) and if the application is not completed by then it will have no chance of being successful as from 01 November my creditors will no longer freeze my debts and hold off on interest and non-payment charges. These will be added to my balances taking me over £20,000.

I have not had a meeting with the Approved Intermediary and if one is to take place then there is not much time for this to occur before I become ineligible for the DRO. If further information is required by the Intermediary then I hope there is time to prepare this. Also, I am able to pay the fee when required and I understand the Intermediary should give me details of the local Payzone Outlet, but this has yet to happen.

The compliments slip ended with the words "please do not come in until you have been contacted".

That has caused me great concern in light of fatbelly's recommendation about tight communication. I have no contact details for the Intermediary and so the only way to get in touch is for me to attend the Bureau in person. I have now been told not to do that and I confess that I am not comfortable with it. It means I have to sit and wait anxiously. I don't find that acceptable.

What I also do not find acceptable is the the Superviser writes on a compliments slip which is then handed to me, rather than coming out and speaking to me personally when they know I am sitting in the waiting area (which apart from my presence was deserted). In any work situation if someone had come in and was sitting waiting for a response from me there is no way that I would have written on a slip; I would have gone into the waiting room to see the individual personally. I do not mind admitting that I am more annoyed about this than anything else, particular as a few weeks ago this branch of the CAB was featured on BBC Radio with the Manager saying what a wonderful, customer friendly place the CAB was (the usual PR stuff). This has certainly not been my experience to date.

I may yet go back down there armed with a letter of complaint and demand to see someone in person this time. However, I might also calm down and decide there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
  • StopIt
    Options
    There's no reason why that information couldn't have been conveyed in person. Telling you effectively to go away also isn't exactly the best of strategies for someone asking for help in a crisis also.

Aside from that, I'd say that you're going to be very lucky to get the DRO processed in time, but don't give up hope just yet. If I had a magic button labelled "Get the CAB to contact you this instant", I'd press it. As I don't, maybe looking at the screen angrily may help. Or it might get my co-workers confused. Either way, I'll do it anyway.

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,547 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi guys

CABs all work a bit differently. What they have in common is that demand outstrips supply and they are woefully underfunded - mine covers an area of half a million people, 90 miles from one end to another and we run that on core service funding of less than £500k per year.

It sounds as if your intermediaries may be volunteers. We have some though most of ours are funded by MAS and work 3-5 days per week. We would be more able to jump quickly if we needed to.

Look, I would say see what happens tomorrow. The barcode letter can be generated almost instantly (best to pay at a post office) and if they need an Experian credit report quickly MSE credit club now can provide one free.

We've done DROs from start to submit in an afternoon, to deal with an emergency. Don't panic yet
  • Splodge1000
    Options
    Thanks StopIt and fatbelly for your, as usual, informative and most welcome contributions.

I have a further update.

I dropped a letter in to the CAB this afternoon emphasising the situation regarding time and the balance of the total debt, and also complaining about the handling of my visit this morning. I have since been telephoned by a very helpful Superviser who advised me that she had spoken with the Superviser from this morning. He has subsequently acknowledged that writing what he did on the compliments slip was not the best way to handle matters. He has apologised and I am happy to accept that.

The Superviser chatted with me regarding the DRO and will ask the Intermediary to call me tomorrow - I believe she is a volunteer as you concluded, fatbelly - but she suspects that it may not be possible to have a DRO processed by the end of the month. With one Intermediary being away the workload is high and appointments are currently being made for 8 November. She is also concerned because the amount is so close to the £20,000 limit (currently about £69 below) and she advised that sometimes the figure on an Experian credit report might not include everything but I have been able to assure her that I am unaware of any other debts that could exist. She went to great lengths to explain how much of an issue the total balance is and how National Debt Line will not go down the DRO route with debts over £19,000.

I appreciate the Superviser's candour and I understand that she doesn't want to say that her branch can help me if in practical terms they cannot. I believe she is being honest and correct in respect of this. My only hope is that my case is bumped up the list and prioritised on the basis of the amount and the short timeframe available, and I was at pains to point out that the short timeframe is hardly the fault of the CAB but rests with me. I have made myself available all day tomorrow to receive calls or even attend the Bureau, as I have not yet had a meeting with anyone, and the same will be the case next Wednesday. The general tone however was one that suggested that the timeframe was too tight, so I am not holding out much hope. Obviously there is no time to go elsewhere if the CAB cannot help with this one.
  • Splodge1000
    Options
    A further update:

Earlier today I received a telephone call from one of the Approved Intermediaries at my local CAB. He advised me that he would prepare what he could for a DRO and has today sent off the requests for credit reports to Equifax and Experian, though he did explain that it can take them up to two weeks to respond which might be too late, in my case. I returned the forms authorising the CAB to apply for this in person on Thursday of last week, the same day I received the forms in the post from the CAB, but as the Intermediaries only work on Wednesday it would seem that nothing has been done with these until today. That is slightly disappointing, but I guess it is just the way it is.

The Intermediary advised me that he would be in touch with me in due course, though a meeting has still not been arranged.

It is starting to look to me as if the DRO is unlikely to be prepared by the end of the month, as StopIt suggested. I hope I am wrong about that; time will tell.
  • Splodge1000
    Options
    A brief update

I have heard nothing from my local CAB and so will attend the Bureau in person this afternoon to find out what the present position is. The Intermediaries only work on a Wednesday and so this is the one opportunity I have this week to try and speak with them. My guess is that they have not yet received the credit reports from Experian and Equifax.That will be disappointing as I completed the forms to permit this request and dropped these in to the Bureau in person two weeks ago tomorrow, i.e. the same afternoon I received the request in the post from the CAB, but they sat on it for six days before sending it off. There has still been no mention of a meeting between myself and the Intermediary.

Next Wednesday will be the November 1 and from this date interest and charges will no longer be frozen but will be applicable which will most certainly take me over the £20,000 threshold and disqualify me from a DRO. If that happens then it is curtains.

I will post any developments as a result of my visit this afternoon later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure