My New Frugal Life

Hi all, I used to post quite a bit under a different name on DFW forum but have lost my log in, also my situation changed dramatically so I'm taking this opportunity to create a fresh new log in and start my new frugal life :wave:

I will be back with a quick intro and my plans a little bit later on :money:

Comments

• Newfrugallife
    Newfrugallife Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 2:40PM
    Ok so in a quick nutshell we have a large mortgage of £221,528 and its not great as its on 34 years term. Also due to a change in circumstances I will be stay at home mum starting next month, so we will have to manage on husbands salary.

But I have been a budget queen while paying our debts and am very confident I can do this again and not only "manage on one salary" but save and overpay the mortgage as well! I will use this diary to run a pretty tight ship and record my goals and achievements!

At the moment I'm still playing around with the budget, but will be back once I finalise the figures.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello and welcome! :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Hello New Frugal LIfe, I started my diary a month ago at the same time as "learning" about living a more frugal life. The positive impact already has been life changing for me.

I'll subscribe and support along the way.
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • Hello!

I signed up to MSE just to subscribe to your diary! I've been lurking a while so it was about time ��

I'm also a stay at home mum living off my husband's salary. We're overpaying on our mortgage a little every month but hope to increase. I'm looking forward to reading about your frugal ways to keep us motivated ��
  • Another stay at home mum/kept woman here.

We manage to overpay too - just a little bit but it helps. It's all about setting the budget and sticking to it. I also find that I have more time to bargain hunt the grocery shopping than I would if I was working.

Surveys, mystery shopping and shopping cash back also help boost my mop pot.

Good luck.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,183 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I love debt busting diaries though i'm not in debt myself. I wish you well.
  • Hello! I'm another ex DFW returning with a new name and changed circumstances so I shall certainly be keen to follow this next part of your journey. Good luck and welcome aboard!!
  • Wow so many replies! I didnt expect that thank you and hello :D

One place I'm planning to do better budgeting once I'm a stay at home mum is food shopping. We are a family of four and two cats and currently spending about 250/ 300 on food/ cleaning stuff/ bath stuff etc per month. I'm hoping to cut this to 200 a month and once I'm at home I'm actually planning going shopping everyday Mon to Fri and spend up to £10 a day (so £50 a week).

The reason I want to go everyday is that I want to create some sort of a routine where I will walk my youngest to school, then go to Aldi and walk back, it will be about 20 to 30 minute walk and will double up as my exercise. And if I shop for one day at a time it wont be too much to carry. I'm actually very excited :D As for the weekends, I'm hoping to have enough bits left over from the week if you know what I mean.

I still have two and a bit weeks left at work and counting down the minutes ;)
  • Good luck, will be watching with interest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure