NHS pension not transferred to my LGPS

Options
I wonder if anyone has been in he same situation I am in or can offer advice.
I worked in the NHS for 22 years and currently employed by a local council.
I was unaware that my NHS pension had not been transferred across.
I find myself in a situation where I need to retire on ill health grounds due to incurable cancer and the effects of treatment.
My current scheme have refused a late transfer in I am just in the process of asking them to reconsider this and asked for a statement of my losses by the 2 pensions being separate.
The NHS have agreed that I can access my pension on ill health grounds at the highest tier, my current OH doctor has said I should be offered my pension from my current LG pension at the highest tier also. It will go to panel but I have been advised that there should not be any discrepancy with this being reduced to a lower tier.
My questions are: am I likely to be loosing a great deal of money with the pensions being separate? Should I delay the panel meeting until I have a decision from the pension service that there is no timescale for?
Also has anyone succeeded having a late transfer in in similar circumstances?
Do I pay tax on the amount I can convert to a lump sum and at what rate?
I would appreciate any advice and as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Options
    My sympathies to you.

Why wasn't your NHS pension transferred into your LGPS pension? - Did you ask for it to be done, or did you just assume that it would be done automatically?

It's impossible for me to say if you will lose out by not having your pensions combined but, if the NHS will also allow you access to your deferred benefits on ill-health grounds, then the difference may not be so great.

As for your commuted lump sums, both the NHS and the LGPS amounts are tax free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure