2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2017 at 10:03PM
    Options
    harrison22 wrote: »
    I was thinking more that I would happily rip up the cards, I don't use them anymore and haven't for 6 months, I just hate paying £750 a month in interest on them and they never shift. If I got a loan fixed payments , fixed end I could right that off entirely and have one simple payment to make. It may even be more expensive than paying the cards off but at least they would be gone forever.

I don't actually need the cards.

That might not even be possible, you need to look at your spending and cut back (need to be honest with this ) which is what the soa is all about, posting the soa on the dfw will giver other the chance to give advice/suggestionson where to make cuts.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    harrison22 wrote: »
    I don't actually need the cards.

Really? Then how do you come to have so much debt on them?

My question is not intended to be offensive or critical - rather to invite you to reflect on what the money was spent on. Debt consolidation very rarely works and this is because the root causes of the rise of the original debt are not understood or addressed.

In your case I feel that you are going to have to deal with this by cutting back to find some additional amounts to throw at debt repayment and snowballing your debt reduction. There is a wealth of advice and knowledge on these forums on that process.

I hope you manage to get it resolved.
  • Zaox
    Zaox Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just no need for them now. They acrrued over a year ago during a bad period and I've simply been paying interest since.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Can you move any of them to 0% cards?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    Definitely do a written budget so you know for sure what you can cut down on and how much free money you have to put towards debts. This happened to me a few years back but I didn't have any spare money. I negotiated with the creditors to go on a repayment plan . it was a relief but messed up my credit score. Have a think about how important your credit score is. Do you need to protect it or can you afford to take a hit? Don't borrow anymore that's for sure.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said, you need to complete a Statement of Affairs and post it on the Debt Free Wannabe board.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Keeping tabs on your debts is imperative, listing what you owe and to whom you owe it, and the interest rates. People will be able to tell you your best course of action.

As well as cutting up your credit cards because you no longer need them, you should also contact the companies by letter closing the accounts.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Sarastro
    Options
    Focus on two priorities before going down the IVA or bankruptcy route...
    - Living within your means (write a budget for heaven's sake!) including your repayments
    - Shifting the debt into the lowest possible interest rate that you can get.

This might be a loan instead of a credit card, all depends on what interest rate you are paying and what you can get. Make the minimum payment on all but the most expensive (highest interest rate) card and keep going at it until it's gone, then go onto the next one. If you can shift onto zero percent, still focus on overpaying the highest rate interest card as this will reduce the total amount you repay over all.

Also worth finding out your credit score and doing everything you can to improve it. One silver lining is that 'unused debt' is a positive thing so having the cards and making payments on them should improve the score.

An IVA or bankruptcy will be a major headache later on - and to be avoided if at all possible - they are not a bail out!
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sarastro wrote: »

Also worth finding out your credit score and doing everything you can to improve it. One silver lining is that 'unused debt' is a positive thing so having the cards and making payments on them should improve the score.

For clarity, aim to improve your credit history, not the score.

It may seem a subtle difference, but the score is a poor guide to building a good history that will impress lenders, and will all too often do the opposite to what you would expect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure