This Duo's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Nicnak.

Nothing major to report just trying to keep focused. The last 3 days have been NSDs as I have barely left the house. Small is with his dad and I really don't know what to do with myself, I feel like I have lost myself a little outside of being mummy so when I don't have him with me I really struggle to find things to do.

Twice a year we go on holiday with my dad, just a little caravan holiday which I only need to find spending money for, I really appreciate that my small is at least guaranteed this each year. Anyway this is coming up shortly so I am trying not to spend anything so that I will be comfortable for that week, this is really difficult when its the summer holidays. Last year we were out and about almost everyday and this summer has felt awful in comparison, we haven't been outside as much because the weather hasn't been great but I'm hoping that will change a little this week once he's back home.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,727 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The little caravan holiday sounds amazing, and I am sure he will have a fab time.

The weather is very unpredictable at the minute, it is frustrating. I am trying to do the park and taking her out on her bike at various points to get her out and about, but not spending too much. It's very hard!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Had a lovely week with the little one, minimised spends as much as I could. We went out to a lovely lake that we love that has lots of wonderful things to do for children. Stayed in a couple of other days as the weather wasn't great then spent the weekend with family. Not sure what we are going to do this week but I am going to try to keep it as cheap as possible with our little holiday coming up soon.

Debt total this month will decrease from 2255.67 down to around £1900 but will update this exactly at the end of the month.

Nothing much else to report really, just trying to stay focused.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,727 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That sounds lovely. I love water and being in nature as well.

Cheap in the holidays can be so difficult. Hope you manage it easily. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    My stress levels are at an all time high at the moment. My small one is really pushing boundaries at the moment mixed with some horrible weather means I'm not coping well. One good thing is that this means I haven't been spending anything.

Received a scary letter from my water company today, I applied for a scheme they offer to help with your bill, I have been eligible for it for the last 2 years but this year they decided I wasn't eligible and so I am behind on my payments. I have reapplied since my rent increase but the water company won't wait until I hear back from the scheme. Have set up a payment plan with them for now after paying an amount today, next payment is due on 28th. I am hoping my application is all processed by then as I think I will struggle otherwise.

Nothing much else to report, trying to keep back what money I can for our holiday with my dad, thankfully my dad and his partner are absolutely wonderful and they really help out a lot when we go on our little holidays with them. I do really appreciate that my small is guaranteed 2 small caravan holidays a year thanks to them, it doesn't make me feel awful when I can't afford to take him away anywhere. Once I am a little more straight I must show them my appreciation with a nice dinner out or something special.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    After a few stressful weeks over the summer with small pushing boundaries we ended on a high, unfortunately this did mean extra spends, particularly during our holiday week. I need to balance my finances as the next month will be the most difficult for me.

Water bill has all been sorted, balance is under £160 and only £60 of that needs to be paid this year. I plan on clearing the £60 next month when I receive my student finance and will then clear the balance sometime next year when everything else has (hopefully) been cleared.

Car insurance is due for renewal this month, it is quite a lot higher than last year with no changes so I will be doing lots of shopping around. I already have the money to clear this in full put to one side.

Small is back to school so everything feels a little more normal although I feel very lost, if I could I would have small with me every day. First day back at school and we receive a letter about a school trip in 2 weeks time so that's a cost I wasn't anticipating just yet.

I'm struggling a little with my rent increase, I changed my circumstances with the council and because I'm already at the top end of the local housing allowance I'm not entitled to receive anything more than I already do, this means that I need to find the whole additional amount myself when my budget only just seems to balance as it is. Not sure how I will find the additional amount if I'm honest, some adjustments will need to be made.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Lots of hurdles there DFD but it seems as though you're overcoming them in your usual fine and positive style - well done! Get you being all ahead of yourself for Christmas too - good for you, I wish I could say the same!

12% seems an enormous hike in rent to me - is this justified? Is there any route to appealing it?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Thank you EH, sometimes I do worry that I can be too negative here but I do try to overcome everything that comes my way. Christmas is on hold again now but I have made a good start and have some money aside for any deals I see.

The rent increase is justified unfortunately. I have only had one increase before this and I have been here almost 7 years. It brings the rent more in line with other rents in the area. I am hoping to move next summer nearer to my own support network as I'm currently still in the town I moved to when I was with my ex, this in itself causes me a lot of anxiety. Hopefully the move will allow me to find something more affordable as rents here are becoming quite high.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Car insurance has been cancelled as they couldn't match another quote that is almost £100 cheaper. My insurance is so expensive, my area compared to when I lived nearer my parents increased my premium by around £70 per year and being a student increases it by about the same again. I can take out my new policy via TCB so will get £20 back. Not much left in the car pot now and I have my MOT and service due in December, pretty sure I'll need a new tyre at the very least for it to pass.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Sounds like a good approach to think about moving back towards your support network - that will help on more levels than just financial, won't it.

Shame there is no route to appeal the rent increase but that's the way it goes I guess.

My car insurance increased by nearly £100 this year just down to having the newer car :o Nothing much I can do about it so just need to suck it up sadly. On the plus side there should be little maintenance needed aside from a service at some stage this year so that's an advantage.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills