Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

This Duo's debt free journey - Page 42

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

This Duo's debt free journey

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
841 replies 43K views

Replies

• Pauper1Pauper1 Forumite
    368 posts
    Well done on your assignment! That's amazing. And fingers crossed for snow. We're due a little bit tomorrow but along with rain :(
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £10,717.17 [STRIKE]£39,349.41[/STRIKE] Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek: Now aiming for Summer 2019
  • DebtFreeDuoDebtFreeDuo Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of lovely snow for us today which meant school was closed anyway. We went food shopping this morning as we were desperate and then came home and built a huge snowman! More snow is supposed to be on the way this afternoon.

My food budget is looking very healthy this month, as we were both sick at the start of the month a friend very kindly bought us some food round which saved me having to shop at all until now. My budget for the month was £150, I reduced this down to £120 thanks to my friend who wouldn't take anything. This meant that I could split this down to £40 a week for the rest of the month. Todays shopping which should last the whole week came in at £32.88 which included £6 just on juice! This was helped by me having meat in the freezer but I think I probably have enough in there for 2/3 weeks so I will save the remaining money for the last week just incase but if its not used then its going in my pot for the SPC.

I'm feeling much more positive today, I had a week where I was completely off the rails but I'm now feeling ready to tackle the debt again. I think only being able to overpay once every few months doesn't help.

Remaining budget for December

Food - £87.12 - This only has to cover 2 weeks but does include Christmas.

Fuel - £60 - Currently still have half a tank left, a full tank can last me anywhere between 2 - 6 weeks depending on my plans but more driving will be required over Christmas so I am keeping this here for now.

Gifts - £10 - This is just incase I think of someone I had forgot about.

Other - £60 - I'm hoping I will have most of this left to carry into January but things always seem to creep up.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love looking at your single budgets. I just seem to have one pot, and can't seem to divvy up what I have into single ones.

Hopefully next year, I might be able to do this x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330
    Now:
    Dad £2000 = £0 Car £17450 = £12,204
    Ex £8000 = £0 Loan £8000 = £7641 Sofa £820 = £0
    Total £28,270 = £19,845 PAID £8425
    Mortgage £191,311 = £189,815
    EF = £6000 Xmas = £0
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult myself Nicnak and I am yet to stick with it for a whole month but I'm hoping this month will be different. If I can start sticking to my budgets then when April arrives I can start sending money to my savings account monthly to cover my annual costs.

Next year I'm hoping my annual costs only include home & car insurance and my MOT. Christmas and birthdays will be covered with survey money if I can keep on top of it. My car insurance is due around the time where I hope to have paid off my bigger debts so I will have spare money from my student finance to cover it but from late 2018/start of 2019 I want my SOA budget to be in full flow.
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Today the snow is still looking amazing and we are off to see Santa! My dad booked it for us a little while back so we didn't know it would snow but it will make it so magical for DS (as long as it is still around late afternoon). As Santa is already paid for (thank you dad) then I am hoping today will be a NSD.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have had a wonderful day today, went to see Santa followed by a circus show. DS had a wonderful time.

Read the 1% challenge and I really like the sound of it. I think I am going to join in January, once my debts are completely stable. This will happen in January because my CC will be cleared which I have been using to get the £10 reward.
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you and DS had a great day seeing santa and the circus :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £300/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    The snow outside is amazing, I haven't seen decent snow for years, there has to be at least 6 inches out there and its still coming down.

Nothing MSE to report today, it will be a NSD as I don't plan on going anywhere. I don't mind driving in the snow but the roads are just as covered as the footpath and I would have to drive up a big hill and I know my car wouldn't make it. Will venture in the garden so DS can play in the snow but also have the warmth of home for when he starts complaining that his feet are cold.
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have none here so can’t show little one.
    Enjoy your day xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330
    Now:
    Dad £2000 = £0 Car £17450 = £12,204
    Ex £8000 = £0 Loan £8000 = £7641 Sofa £820 = £0
    Total £28,270 = £19,845 PAID £8425
    Mortgage £191,311 = £189,815
    EF = £6000 Xmas = £0
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thats a shame, it hasn't stopped snowing here so its more like 8 inches now, when we were out in it a couple of hours ago it came up to smalls knee, it would probably be past that now! I really love the snow, especially at this time of year.