PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Herbalife

Options
Hi all, a friend of mine has just talked me into doing the Herbalife free trial as she is an agent for them. She gave me a taste of the shake drink and it tasted lovely so I decided to start it tomorrow. However, I have received advice since from work colleagues that its better to just eat proper food. I don't need to lose weight or anything but my stomach is always bloated after eating and I just want to eat more healthily and have something that will fill me up so that I am not snacking all day which I often do. The plan is to have this shake for breakfast but its nearly £30 just for a month's supply. Working it out daily it may work out cost effective but not when I have other food to buy aswell will it?

I am a bit dubious now. Anyone else had any experience of these products?

Comments

• SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you enjoy it and can afford it then I don't see any issue :)

I agree with your friend that real food is better.

With the bloating - could it be what you are eating? I bloat terribly with bread (god I love it) and when I eat breakfast so I try to eat later in the day.

I am not a fan of any 'diet' product though unless it's a fizzy drink :p yum
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest, I would be surprised if you get on any better with a shake if bloating is an issue.

I suppose you could try one months supply. I would imagine that by the end of the month you will know if it suits or not.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    Hi all, a friend of mine has just talked me into doing the Herbalife free trial as she is an agent for them.

I just want to eat more healthily

Eating healthily and drinking shakes like Herbalife aren't compatible ideas!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2017 at 10:02PM
    Options
    At the risk of getting roundly told off by the OS population, I get on quite well with shakes - but that's largely because I really don't like eating in the morning, but I can handle a drink.

I have no experience of this brand, but I have gastro symptoms when I have dairy - and most commercial meal replacement shakes have both whey and huge amounts of sugar in them. I prefer making smoothies in the morning with plant milk, banana and a handful of other fruit, along with some chia seeds or raw oats to add thickness and to help keep me feeling full - but I do have a pack of non dairy protein shake in the cupboard at work in case I forget to pick up my lunch or I'm absolutely starving during a particularly busy day. Either a smoothie or a bag of shake mix that you scoop out and shake up in a plastic bottle with some water are considerably cheaper than your friend's option.

(ETA: I've looked at it online. It's a lot of sugar and then they recommend adding milk. Cheaper soy/pea ones with less sugar and don't rely upon adding milk to reach those nutritional breakdowns are available by internet shopping. And I'm wondering whether the six quid commission per pack is encouraging your friend to be slightly more persuasive than they would normally be :cool:)

However, it is possible that you're bloating either because something doesn't agree with you or because you're busy working, talking and cramming something down without actually slowing down enough to sit down, eat and breathe. I get 30 mins break, but I will spend 15 of that actually sitting and focusing upon what I am eating rather than trying to get some more work done, answering phone calls and constantly getting up and down again. The other 15 is doing largely nothing at all, which gives a chance for my lunch to settle before working again. If you don't do that, it could well help you just to make a point of stopping and having a proper break, shakes or no shakes.

If you can afford it for a month, I'd think it won't hurt to try it as you already like the taste. And then once you've done that month - or got bored/fed up with the things - look at alternative ways to get vitamins, energy and something to keep you going until lunch (ps - carrot sticks are great for that. Yes, you're still eating all day, but it's not going to make anybody fat that's over the size of a rabbit in the first place). It also really helps me to have a large glass of chilled water every couple of hours, as that means I'm well hydrated & have a reasonable amount of water filling me briefly - I'm therefore not as likely to succumb to the 'it's my birthday' cake, doughnuts or biscuits

But the most important thing I feel I should point out is that they aren't magic potions. You have to not have additional snacks on the basis of 'I've only had a shake' or 'I've been really good'. If they work for you, you'll find that easy - as you won't be hungry, dehydrated or lacking in energy - if you still want to have the snacks, the odds are that you're not eating because you're hungry, but because of your mood, dehydration, tiredness, etc.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I tried the shake for my breakfast this morning and it tasted nice but I did miss having my usual cornflakes and coffee, I tried the herbal tea during my morning break at work and that was awful, just can't stomach that at all, will see how it goes.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    I seem to remember that Herbalife is a multi level marketing company.
    It may not be of interest in this case, but I have seen too many friends and colleagues end barely any better off by being involved in such schemes, and a couple out of pocket, even some by brands I previously liked, so I avoid them entirely now.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, same as Avon and lots of other home selling companies. I do use Herbalife when I want to loose weight, I fine the shakes keep me full up and I don't need snacks. I know food could do the same but I find it so much easier when working to whizz up a shake.
  • Fusspot
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Yes, same as Avon and lots of other home selling companies. I do use Herbalife when I want to loose weight, I fine the shakes keep me full up and I don't need snacks. I know food could do the same but I find it so much easier when working to whizz up a shake.

This is my idea. I don't want to diet as such but like you I want convenience. I am tired of thinking what to take to work for lunch and I am thinking of having the shakes (which I now am loving the taste of) for my lunch at work and having my usual breakfast of cornflakes. I won't be buying the tea or any other of the products though but I am amazed at how good the shake tastes after a couple of days of having it. I know you can get cheaper in Boots, such as Slimfast but don't know what that's like.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    This is my idea. I don't want to diet as such but like you I want convenience. I am tired of thinking what to take to work for lunch and I am thinking of having the shakes (which I now am loving the taste of) for my lunch at work and having my usual breakfast of cornflakes. I won't be buying the tea or any other of the products though but I am amazed at how good the shake tastes after a couple of days of having it. I know you can get cheaper in Boots, such as Slimfast but don't know what that's like.

Slimfast is vile. It's very heavily sugared (twice as much as in your Herbalife shakes 18g instead of 9g - which is about 2 teaspoons of sugar - would you have a cup of tea with 4 spoons of sugar in it?) and consists of whey, which causes bloating for a lot of people.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Fusspot
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Slimfast is vile. It's very heavily sugared (twice as much as in your Herbalife shakes 18g instead of 9g - which is about 2 teaspoons of sugar - would you have a cup of tea with 4 spoons of sugar in it?) and consists of whey, which causes bloating for a lot of people.

Thanks, I'll avoid that then. I did see some in Boots though which said 'no added sugar', maybe that's a new thing? I do like this Herbalife one though so will buy it whileever I can afford it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure