Debt Free By 2020

Options

Comments

• DebtBuster2017
    Options
    Another day almost over and one step closer to pay day and my last ever Argos payment! I already have the letter written out to them to cancel the card once it's paid off :)
    [STRIKE]Argos - October 2017[/STRIKE] Aqua - November 2017
    Barclaycard - June 2020 MBNA - April 2018 Tesco - April 2019
  • DebtBuster2017
    Options
    Woohoo and I've just spoken to someone about the old credit card I cancelled and they've confirmed it's been closed as of today, not before they tried to persuade me into keeping the card mind you!
  • Brilliant xx
  • missmental123
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to be debt free by March 2020 too!I think 2020 has a nice ring to it!
    Good luck with it all.
    MM
    Total: Debt July '17 -£23,806.33 - now
    -£16,910 (£6896 or 28.9% paid)
  • DebtBuster2017
    Options
    Thank you MM, good luck with your journey too :)

Had a letter today from aqua saying they are reducing my interest rate by 8% per annum - thanks but I've no intention of using it again. Only two more payments to make on this card then it's being cancelled.
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hey

Have you considered doing surveys. These helped me loads (infact got me officially out debt 6 months earlier and a chunk house deposit winning grand prize) helps with xmas and that xxx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • niamh3012xo
    Options
    What website did you use for this?!:p
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Hi DebtFreeDuo, yes I think you're right and I should put the extra to my savings account. My problem is I'm very impatient and just want this debt gone as soon as possible. I find it all so confusing and I'm constantly checking my balances wanting them to come down quicker than they currently are. I'm paying over the minimums on all of my debts but they still seem to come down so slowly. I think I just need to chill out a bit and stop obsessing over it.

I know exactly what you mean, why don't you look at it as though your savings cancel out a certain amount of debt? Take me, I currently have £4000 in my help to buy ISA, it makes more sense to leave it there because when I'm finally ready to buy I will get a 25% bonus from the government plus I get interest each year, now I could use this to clear off some debt but the way I see it is that I will be worse off doing this and if I wanted to at any point I could pay off debt with this so in actual fact my debts are more around the £2k mark than the £6k mark. This should hopefully help give you some motivation in that if you touch your savings you will effectively be adding to your debt.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • DebtBuster2017
    Options
    Sorry for the late replies, been trying to take a step back so I don't get too obsessed with the debt busting!

I do the isay surveys that pay amazon vouchers but would love to know what website you use, a grand prize win sounds awesome!

DFD you're right, I will definitely build up my savings as I think this would be more beneficial in the long run. My ultimate goal is to save enough for a deposit for my own place, and once I've got my debts down considerably then I will open a help to buy isa.
  • DebtBuster2017
    Options
    Payday yesterday and the last payment to Argos has been made so that's one debt gone forever :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family