How to tell someone they have BO

Options
Hi
Any advice on how to deal with a member of staff who has a BO problem? He is a front of house kitchen asst/ waiter and the problem arises towards the end of his shift. I'm his new manager and it has been brought to my attention! Help!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had to do this once. The only way is to be upfront, ask if they are aware there is a problem (in my case he wasn't and was mortified) and see what suggestions you/they can come up with.
    Would there be time part way through the shift for a quick wash under the arms and a squirt of deodorant, for example? Clothes washed on a higher temperatures?
    Is there really a problem, or is someone stirring it a bit?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im sure its been discussed on here before how to tell someone they have BO, have search of the forums.
  • Pickle29
    Options
    Thanks to both,
    He does get a break so that's an option and a couple of people have brought it to my attention!

I will look around the forum, although I haven't seen it on here before and I have been a member for a few years

Thanks
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    I get the feeling you are female, if that is true then it could be awkward. Usually better when its matching genders as it is personal but if there are no other managers who happen to be male then you will have to do it yourself.

All he needs is anti antiperspirant and a daily shower, from my understanding for sweat to actually smell requires more time than one day so maybe he just doesn't shower often. Even with clean cloths, if you dont clean yourself, you will stink by the end of the day.

Glad im not at your place, im not good with BO, makes me gag.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,313 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest trying to mention it towards the end of a shift and ideally when he will have time to go shopping for new antiperspirant before he next comes in. It could be nasty knowing about it, but not having had time to change anything.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    from my understanding for sweat to actually smell requires more time than one day so maybe he just doesn't shower often. .

Not true. I had a guy who worked for me who had exactly the same problem - a BO issue was only apparent towards the end of the day. The issue was raised with him and he was horrified as he hadn't noticed. He just changed to a stronger deodorant and the problem disappeared. If the person doesn't realise, they need to be told.
  • Pickle29
    Options
    thanks, we have a male chef who is senior to him. He said he had dropped hints to no avail! I may need to ask him to be more direct & have a stronger quiet word!

He is a good worker and temp so definitely needs to know!
    Thanks
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Dropping hints isn't fair or professional.

You or the chef need to be polite but clear what the problem is and what you need him to do to remedy it and follow up if this doesn't happen. I'd suggest you ask him to wash his clothes at a higher temperature, shower or bathe before work (not the night before) and use appropriate deodorant or anti perspirants. Give him a chance to explain if this is a medical issue or if he has other problems which contribute to the problem - and be prepared to brainstorm solutions. You can acknowledge it's a difficult conversation but I'd be matter of fact and treat this like any other performance issue to try to minimise any embarrassment
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ITV programme Save Money Good Health was most recently looking at deodorants which are supposed to last more than just a day. I use (daily) a 48 hour one which you put on at night (after washing) and no-one's complained, I feel more comfortable with it than with standard ones.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Not true. I had a guy who worked for me who had exactly the same problem - a BO issue was only apparent towards the end of the day. The issue was raised with him and he was horrified as he hadn't noticed. He just changed to a stronger deodorant and the problem disappeared. If the person doesn't realise, they need to be told.

Fair enough
    Nicki wrote: »
    Dropping hints isn't fair or professional.

You or the chef need to be polite but clear what the problem is and what you need him to do to remedy it and follow up if this doesn't happen. I'd suggest you ask him to wash his clothes at a higher temperature, shower or bathe before work (not the night before) and use appropriate deodorant or anti perspirants. Give him a chance to explain if this is a medical issue or if he has other problems which contribute to the problem - and be prepared to brainstorm solutions. You can acknowledge it's a difficult conversation but I'd be matter of fact and treat this like any other performance issue to try to minimise any embarrassment

Dont see how washing cloths at higher temp will help, may lessen life of cloths though, most normal cloths are washed at 40c

He doesnt smell first thing in the morning so his cloths dont seem to be the issue. I agree with the rest though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure