We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tradesperson Recommendations

2»

Comments

  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    guiriman wrote: »
    I've a guy downstairs painting the living room right now so should know soon whether to recommend him or not....

    Good painters are definitely a rarity so his details would be good to know.
  • leskerr
    leskerr Posts: 130 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would recommend....using https://www.ratedpeople.com/
    Used several times for various jobs and no disappointments so far.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    leskerr wrote: »
    I would recommend....using https://www.ratedpeople.com/
    Used several times for various jobs and no disappointments so far.

    I just did a few dummy runs and it said for basic things such as "Handyman" and "Joiner" that they do not exist.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I used rated people for a tiler and he was great, and not hard to pay!
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,751 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    I have used rated people I also use facebook .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 September 2017 at 2:14PM
    I have recommended an electrician friend on here some time ago.

    He ended up being messed around and not paid for his work by a chancer

    Never again

    Count me OUT!


    .
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    ballyblack wrote: »
    I have recommended an electrician friend on here some time ago.

    He ended up being messed around and not paid for his work by a chancer

    Never again

    Count me OUT!


    .

    Other side of this. I was recommended a joiner on the site. Came in to the house, quoted a ridiculous price and then proceeded to harass me for three week. I didn't have a clue how realistic the price was, the guy said all the right things but something didn't sit right.

    Eventually got another recommendation from a friend. Worked out about 80% cheaper. The recommendation just wanted to rip me off . This wasn't about a competitive quote, the guy thought he had an easy mark.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,751 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    I advertised a job I was looking done on facebook .Needed a local handyman .Three people went to view the job ,two gave me a price .One was £75 the other was £250.For the job £75 is more like it .I get people from facebook ,they Know you can post bad stuff about themso less chance being mucked about.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    I think a source perhaps for people to drop into would be better. I have struggled to get decent tradespeople in the past and there is bound to be somewhere we can go that is more than pot luck?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.