Possible to have old gas pipe reduced?

Options
Many older houses in Belfast will have originally have had a gas meter under the stairs. These were removed in 1980s, and the gas pipe under the stairs capped.

This means there's an old capped gas pipe (from the original Belfast gas network) under the stairs protruding perhaps 30cm up from the floor. Very inconvenient, as this would be an ideal space to push in the electric lawnmower.

Has anyone here ever contacted either Phoenix Gas, or your gas supplier, or a Gas-Safe registered engineer to determine if this can be cut down to floor level and re-capped?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was thinking of having mine removed and then decided it probably wasn't worth the cost. Let me know how much they want to charge you....
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the pipe steel? Does it have a valve on it? are you sure its dead? Is it close to any electrical apparatus?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These old pipes were usually lead, easily bent over below floor level - unless it's a solid floor, then I would cut it off and bung a cork in it. �� Any good plumber should be able to do a proper and safe job with it.
  • Possom
    Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Is the pipe steel? Does it have a valve on it? are you sure its dead? Is it close to any electrical apparatus?

It's definitely dead as it's the original gas pipe to the Belfast gas meters which were taken out in the 80's. The Gasworks (at the bottom of the Ormeau Rd) closed a long time ago.

I recognise it, as I'v seen them in several other relatives Belfast homes.

I wouldn't describe it as a valve as such, just the usual metal cap which was placed on the end of the pipe when the old meters were removed.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ticked wrote: »
    These old pipes were usually lead, easily bent over below floor level - unless it's a solid floor, then I would cut it off and bung a cork in it. �� Any good plumber should be able to do a proper and safe job with it.

Depends if it is the pipe before or after the gas valve, if before plumber not permitted to touch it.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If its dead then it seems possible that you could just hacksaw it off,,but then you would be advised to cap it as it could still act as a conduit from outside to inside of any external leakage ? Trouble is if you hacksaw it, can you thread it to take a cap ?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Possom
    Options
    Trouble is if you hacksaw it, can you thread it to take a cap ?

I certainly couldn't, no.
  • KiwiCoop
    Options
    Any I've come across are steel and it takes about two minutes to fetch my 9" grinder, attach a metal cutting blade to it and chop the pipe off at floor level.
  • Possom
    Options
    KiwiCoop wrote: »
    Any I've come across are steel and it takes about two minutes to fetch my 9" grinder, attach a metal cutting blade to it and chop the pipe off at floor level.

Do you re-cap the cut pipe?
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Possom wrote: »
    Do you re-cap the cut pipe?

The only concern would be residual gas still lying within the old pipework as it's impossible to know how well (if at all) the old pipework was purged, if you do cut it of pump it full of silicone sealant and make sure it is well pushed in.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport