Mortgage endowment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
3 replies 2.3K views
DurranDurran Forumite
1 Post
Would an endowment policy that was insisted on by the building society to cover the mortgage and to pay off the loan plus generate a lump sum when the mortgage ends qualify as mis selling as the policy did not produce the said lump sum at maturity.Also as I was not offered the opportunity to take a repayment mortgage would this be grounds for claiming the above as mis selling ppi ?

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it wouldn't (on both counts)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Would an endowment policy that was insisted on by the building society to cover the mortgage and to pay off the loan plus generate a lump sum when the mortgage ends qualify as mis selling as the policy did not produce the said lump sum at maturity.

The lender was right to insist an endowment for an interest only mortgage. That requirement ended during the credit boom years but has actually returned following the credit crunch (a repayment vehicle plan).

Lenders are allowed to insist on insurance as a condition of borrowing.
    also as I was not offered the opportunity to take a repayment mortgage would this be grounds for claiming the above as mis selling ppi ?

a mortgage is not PPI. An endowment is not PPI. So, no, it cannot be grounds for making a PPI complaint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Durran wrote: »
    as I was not offered the opportunity to take a repayment mortgage would this be grounds for claiming the above as mis selling ppi ?
    PPI is a type of insurance (which you didn't have).

It's not an all encompassing name for a complaint!

So, as above, it cannot be grounds for making a PPI complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides