Pension Pot

Options
I have a pension pot of around £500,000,through the electrical supply industry, that I have been paying into for 29 years.I am aware that I cannot cash in until I am 55 for a monthly income,I am 46 at the moment.Can I withdraw this pot and invest it elsewhere for upto 10 years,if so what would be my best bet ?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .I am aware that I cannot cash in until I am 55

Any thought of cashing that in would make you a nut case.
    Can I withdraw this pot and invest it elsewhere for upto 10 years,

yes and no. You cannot withdraw the pension. However, you can transfer it, subject to IFA advice and invest it if its a sensible thing to do.
    if so what would be my best bet ?

If you cant answer that then its probably best that you dont.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ewaste
    ewaste Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the pension Defined Benefit or Defined Contribution?
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    You need to tell us a lot more. Please describe your pension in detail.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • K_E_A
    Options
    Hi there

I'm in a Defined Benefit Pension Scheme in the electricity industry. I'm 55 and waiting for my transfer quote. It's my intention to retire early on receipt and work part-time for myself.

My pension scheme administrators have advised they only need the official confirmation (letter of authority etc) that I have consulted with a Financial Advisor and even if a transfer is not recommended, if it's still my express wish to do so, I can do (once I've given 60 days notice to leave the scheme). But the majority of Financial Advisors I've enquired with are insisting they will only work with me if they do make a recommendation and that more often than not, they will always advise against it. (Hargreaves Landsdown for example). Some offer initial advise for free, others charge a lot.

So I'm looking for recommendations for companies/IFA's who do not insist on a positive recommendation to transfer. Not looking to make rash decisions either, but also not looking to waste time and money with those who won't/can't accommodate this from the outset.

Many thanks for any advice, much appreciated
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whilst a financial adviser can take your preference to transfer into account, they are obligated to investigate the reasons for that preference as well as to gather information about all your personal circumstances.

The latter will include health and financial information, such as current and future outgoings, all sources of income available to meet those outgoings, your attitude and ability to bear investment risk, your general attitude to having a certain income for life, your ability to cope with flexible income, the likelihood of dipping into and out of a flexible pot and running out money etc.

If all the things they discover about you indicate that you're likely to be in a better financial position staying in the DB scheme, then despite your wish, they'll generally be obliged to recommend you stay put.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some offer initial advise for free, others charge a lot.

No-one does advice for free. Most IFAs will offer an initial meeting free of charge but no advice is given in that meeting.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Beware of the firms offering 'free' advice - they will 'recommend' the transfer in return for a chunk of your transfer value.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My pension scheme administrators have advised they only need the official confirmation (letter of authority etc) that I have consulted with a Financial Advisor

No skin off their noses if you go.....:)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73120599#post73120599

See post 3.

As you have discovered, some pension schemes will not accept a transfer without a positive recommendation.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your original scheme is required to ensure that you have received advice. No surprise that advisers will insist on providing advice, since they know that you are required to get advice.

You're then free to ignore the advice. Some advisers apparently will refuse to say you have received advice if you don't want them to do the transfer work (and charge for it). Others may refuse to say you've received advice if their advice is not to transfer.

Under current rules advisers are required to do things like assuming you'll buy a lifetime annuity with the whole pot even though that's an inappropriate product for early retirement, where your need will be drawdown until state pension age then if you're normal, state pension and gradually reducing income need for the rest of your life. This standard analysis is also required to assume investment growth that is well below historic levels.

In essence, the mandated analysis is rigged to make transferring look bad and it'll suggest bad when it's really good.

Advisers can add to this and explain why that standard is not applicable to your circumstances. Ensure that you give them sufficient information to do so, like that summary of likely income changing need that I gave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure