Life's swerve ball - need to plan differently!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    now I just need to pull the rip cord!!!

Remember to jump out of the plane first.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't know what to say :-)

Do I book some vacation and lock myself away to do this justice?

What's certain is that you've left yourself wide open to more questions....be scared..!!

But many thanks James..

You can both retire, or rather make a lifestyle adjustment! Start off slowly and don't go on a mad spending spree. Re-read all the thoughts here are make a list about what needs to be done in what order. Monitor your spending against your funds (= huge spreadsheet - yeay!). Smile, Enjoy, repeat.

Good luck!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • Rodders2409
    Options
    Many, many thanks to all who've helped thus far, It's made me do a 180 on my thinking, so I'm so glad I started the thread.

I'll go through the info in more detail over the coming weekend and will certainly come back with a few questions, I see Excel will get some time with me too..!

Not sure if I should start a new thread when I do, or keep this one going....and suggestions welcome on this.

Regards to all...!!:beer::T:T:T
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Same one, easier to keep track of things.

There's also scope to wonder whether a smaller home and/or cheaper area might be useful. Low or lower housing costs are one of the secrets of early financial independence. Children around home leaving age and you still young is a good time.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck on your weekend thinking. I bet you wake up at 2.30 thinking about tax relief, safe drawdown rates, salsac. But you have had loads of good info and advice so as you get to grips with it little by little you will come to see that all your plans and dreams are achievable. I wish you well
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Rodders2409
    Options
    Hello all....you lovely people!

I just wanted to come back to my original post, and the ever so long thread that came about as a result, Our status thus far.

Going to get married very soon, because apparently that's the only way the income from our rental property can be properly 'passed' onto my OH, for her to use against her personal tax allowance and avoid me paying HRT on it.
    It's not something we want to do but hey-ho...we've lived in sin for a quarter of a century, maybe it'll be better?!

I've now increased my Sal Sac to the point that I'm now not paying 40%, and have made allowance for the period that the rental property / income is in my name and not OH's.

We've set up a SIPP for OH to get the 'free' monies from Gov and intend to rotate this process every year.

Sadly, we've had a financial gift following a bereavement and will put that into my pension pot too. It will use up one of the 3 years allowance.

There are some negatives. We are looking to change the layout of the house to provide a better space for OH to live in as things progress, problem being that it's going to cost money!
    There's a fairly simple and cost effective way to do this, and I can do most of the work to keep costs down. However, although it would be safe, Building Regs probably wouldn't like it and it would cost £50Kish.....MMMmmmm

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you guys again for the help so far, as it's made a significant difference to our outlook. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure