How to break the exercise inertia ?

Options

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you include exercise in your way of life, your quality of sleep generally improves, potentially meaning less sleep required.
  • Regular exercises will keep you happy always and you will stay healthier at all time. Always inculcate the habit of jogging at least 100m every morning to burn the excessive fat deposition in the body.
    I couldn't jog for a 100 miles.
  • davidbell01
    Options
    yes, rightly said!
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    But the most important thing for me- or what made the biggest difference has been the education which came with my being at classes and my own reading about things. I found teachers that knew their stuff, weather it be a Yoga teacher who really knew all about what they were teaching or a boot-camp teacher who came from the arm.

Totally agree. The best trainers (and indeed physios etc) are educators above all else. You and your body spend most of your week away from their supervision so they should be giving you the tools and knowledge to treat yourself well 24/7.

As for the main topic it all comes down to priorities. How much do you want to be fit and healthy? How important is it to you? You always find time to eat, regardless of everything else, because it's a high priority thing to do. This isn't different.

There's always an excuse not to. Injury (Ice it, stretch it, do some reading on the web for exercises to help recovery or exercises that avoid the problem area), Kids (I regularly see buggies going round my local park run), it's boring (join a class/club to make it social) etc. The bottom line is if you want it enough, you'll figure it out. If you don't, you won't. There is someone out there, from every single background, who manages to get it done. If they can, you can and if you don't, that's because you chose another priority.

Coming to this board is a good first step so now listen to some of the suggestions and give them a go. Best of luck!
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    I struggle with this sometimes. Although I prefer the gym and getting out of the house where possible, I will do 30-45mins exercise at home to try and get back into the routine.
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I struggle with this sometimes. Although I prefer the gym and getting out of the house where possible, I will do 30-45mins exercise at home to try and get back into the routine.

I really find meeting with friends to do something is a big motivator. When you reach the tipping point of should I go and exercise now or not, it's a lot harder to skip it when you're letting someone else down as well as yourself. I never regret doing it after :)

If you can find a partner in crime that might help you too?
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I started cycling to work it was actually 15 mins quicker than getting public transport, so 30 mins gained (not lost each day, it also saved me £70/month). I know that won't work for everyone of course. I was already quite fit from running 3 times a week, but my waist still went down from 32" to 30" after a few months.

I usually walk (fast) up stairs (I rarely take the lift or escalator, and on the underground I always walk up and down (not stand on) the escalator).

I sometimes watch the news, sport or a movie while on my exercise bike.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AirJoe wrote: »
    I really find meeting with friends to do something is a big motivator. When you reach the tipping point of should I go and exercise now or not, it's a lot harder to skip it when you're letting someone else down as well as yourself. I never regret doing it after :)

If you can find a partner in crime that might help you too?

My dog is my partner in crime, he loves going hiking, and running alongside me while I am jogging or off road biking.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no two ways about it, the only way you are going to introduce it in your life as a routine is accepting that you'll have to force yourself to do it!

Like many, I live a mad life, up early, stressful day in the office, rushing back with yet another long list of to-dos, and feeling in the evening that I'll never make it to the week-end! When I'm done with all the chores, the last thing I crave is another chore, I am desperate for comfort, ie. food, tv, reading.

So I count exercise as just another chore that is good for me... except that it is one that makes me feel wonderful afterwards, a feeling I don't get so much with my other chores. It keeps me fit, slim, and just good about myself. It's just the motivation to get up and do it that is hard however, I've found that the more it is incorporated into my every day life, the less I question whether I want to do it or not.

Then there is the euphoria when I ran my first semi marathon when I started not able to run more than 30 minutes, then the triathlon, when I could swim one length. It's all part of pushing yourself and then getting the benefits of the sense of achievement.

To make exercise work for me, I had to introduce a mental part to it, hence the setting myself goals because I don't get as much a rush of feeling good from the physical side or it than the mental.

There is no doubt that a busy life is an excuse in that if you do want to commit to it, you will make the time for it, you will only trade a comfort activity for another chore! Although now, I would rather go for a 1/2 hour run than wash the car for that same amount of time, or 1/2 hour of ironing!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    There is no two ways about it, the only way you are going to introduce it in your life as a routine is accepting that you'll have to force yourself to do it!

So I count exercise as just another chore that is good for me... except that it is one that makes me feel wonderful afterwards, a feeling I don't get so much with my other chores. It keeps me fit, slim, and just good about myself. It's just the motivation to get up and do it that is hard however, I've found that the more it is incorporated into my every day life, the less I question whether I want to do it or not.

Then there is the euphoria when I ran my first semi marathon when I started not able to run more than 30 minutes, then the triathlon, when I could swim one length. It's all part of pushing yourself and then getting the benefits of the sense of achievement.

To make exercise work for me, I had to introduce a mental part to it, hence the setting myself goals because I don't get as much a rush of feeling good from the physical side or it than the mental.

There is no doubt that a busy life is an excuse in that if you do want to commit to it, you will make the time for it, you will only trade a comfort activity for another chore! Although now, I would rather go for a 1/2 hour run than wash the car for that same amount of time, or 1/2 hour of ironing!

Even having a goal doesn't help. I hate exercise, hate it. Hate taking the dogs for walks really, occasionally something happens that makes it a bit nicer. Still go for three walks a day though.

I don't mind dancing, but with around at best 1 - 1.5 hours free during the day Monday to Friday, tough, I'm not adding that in to the mix..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure