Solar PV Quote Help

Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a solar system and have gotten 5 quotes and was wondering if someone with more knowledge than me could advise on which looks to be the best value for money... spreadsheet can be found here:

h t t ps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9OxNn_1H8YkR25qaWJXWDVWWmc/view?usp=sharing

You'll need to remove the spaces in the https part because I can't post links yet as a new user.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Replies

• Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi and welcome

can't type much, long story, so 4500 is nice price, if you can go big as per the 23 panel quote then certainly worth thinking about, but more needs to be explained. going bigger on smaller quotes shoulb less than 1,000 pounds per kwp.

solaredge is brilliant but won't add much if you have no shading.

keep chatting others will explain and scroll through last fwew months for threads on here the g and e board for chats on bigger systems.

also if interested have a read of sections 1 and 2 and 5 of faq's, see my autosig.

all the best will chat more in following days after a lazy rest.

mart:)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • rugbyleaguesmaterugbyleaguesmate Forumite
    281 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Quite a range of prices.......Great idea to post on here! exactly the same as i did and can fully recommend it.

Do as Mart says read the FAQ and I advise go as large as you can...

My panels are nearly a year old and i'm so impressed!

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • edited 1 September 2017 at 4:42PM
    jaminbenjaminben Forumite
    7 Posts
    edited 1 September 2017 at 4:42PM
    Cool, thanks for the replies... I'll read through the FAQ's over the weekend.

Could someone tell me if there is much difference between the performance of the JA Solar JAP6-60 and the Panasonic 330W VBHN330SJ47 other than the wattage? And do the Solar Edge Optimisers make much difference?

I've been told the whole Solar Edge stuff can increase performance by 20%, is this true?

I have no shading other than when the sun moves round and the roofs naturally blocks the sun but my roofs are east, west and a little south roof... Panels would be fitted as follows: East: 4 South: 2 West: 8
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaminben wrote: »

I have no shading other than when the sun moves round and the roofs naturally blocks the sun but my roofs are east, west and a little south roof... Panels would be fitted as follows: East: 4 South: 2 West: 8

hi, if multiple rooves then solaredge is probably the most efficient way of linking them all through one inerter.

as you say rooves will shade other rooves as the day passes so probably worth considering and as they won't peak all at the same time you can go big on the pv whilst not worrying about any losses if system caped at 3.68kw. their new inverters are tiny, about 9kg, and 99pc efficient.

sorry for poor quality of typing.:o
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnkspinnks Forumite
    840 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome.

My main roof is WSW and I originally opted for that roof only. my generation on that roof is only a few hundred watts until it comes into sun just about as the sun hits due south. It then climbs very quickly to max production of 3,000W or so.

I worried about shading when planning my install but as that is mostly during the 300W morning phase then I need not have worried. I do get some winter shade from neighbours' houses but Solar Edge may not add much in that regard.

As a result of the low morning production I invested in a further 7 panels on my ESE roof and am pleased with that but, the chimney casts a shadow from about 2pm which knackers generation but only shades one panel. Costs me about 3kWh per day on sunny days in summer months or perhaps 5ookWh per year at about 18p per kWh FIT. Maybe £100 per year?

Not worth retrofitting SE but may have been worth opting for it originally. Search on pinnks and shading and you'll find me waxing lyrical on this issue.

Hope this helps
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
  • Merlin139Merlin139 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fitted Solar Edge as I had a shading issue that was about 10% Starts late afternoon when the sun goes to the west. Next doors house is off at a slight angle and its a fraction higher. You can follow the shading as it hits 1 panel and then the one beneath it. so if I had a normal system both strings would be effected. As it is its each panel as the shading gets it.

From my point of view well worth the extra cost. I have had my 3.975 Kwh system for since May 2014 and generated over 4 Mwh each year. PVGIS estimate is 3.6 Mwh. I put this down to Solar Edge.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
  • Some good information thank you :) It sounds like Solar Edge is the way to go.... is it the Optimisers that allow them to work like this?
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaminben wrote: »
    Some good information thank you :) It sounds like Solar Edge is the way to go.... is it the Optimisers that allow them to work like this?

Basically instead of having your panels in say strings. Normal roof may have two rows of 7 or 8. So if 1 panel is in shade it means the whole string suffers from it. With the Optimisers each treats each panel seperately.

Someone maybe able to give you a more technical answer but thats the way I understand it.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
  • edited 2 September 2017 at 6:37PM
    jaminbenjaminben Forumite
    7 Posts
    edited 2 September 2017 at 6:37PM
    Thanks Merlin, that makes sense.

What about this statement from one contractor:-
    If you have a hot water tank with an immersion heater we can add a power diverter which will divert any
    surplus electricty to heat up your hot water saving on average £150 per year, we can add a power diverter to your system for an additional £450 (£700 for Solaredge) inclusive of VAT.

I have no doubt that it can save me money but why is it so expensive for a Solar Edge version?
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No idea what they are quoting for there. But I have something called an Iboost. I think it works by using electricity that is being produced but not being used. I.e what would go back into the grid. Mine added another £150 to my original quote.

Do not see why a SolarEdge system would increase the price? As far as I am aware the Iboost system does not talk to the inverter. My hot water his heated by Gas normally but for around 6 or 7 months we get by using the iboost, so no gas to heat the water. Some days when you get very little sun then you will need to heat the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides