Volunteer needed ( no longer needed )

Options
bees**knees
bees**knees Posts: 2,168 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 September 2017 at 5:16PM in Compers chat corner
ETA : We have a volunteer to give the Mag Dailies lists a try - many thanks to xLuckyxAshxWinsx, who is taking over very shortly and is working on a new thread :T

A volunteer is needed to take over the Mag Dailies thread which is in the Regular competitions section.
I have been keeping the list up to date since the beginning of April. At that time no-one volunteered to take it over and I said I would do it through the summer for 6 months
From the end of September until the beginning of March I am overseas and out of comping for a lot of the time and will be unable to keep the list up to date.

There has been plenty of discussion about the Mag Dailies thread as it does involve time and effort in its current form. It is quite a commitment.

It seems to me there are 3 options:

1. Continue as it is at present with one person volunteering to keep the list up to date

2. Split the ( increasing ) number of magazines between 2 people to reduce the work load and run it as 2 threads - this is dependent on 2 people stepping forward

3. In the event that no-one volunteers then the list will become a link to each magazines main comp page only. I will still keep an eye on it but the links to individual comps and their answers will wind down. Hopefully the fantastic work posting the comps and answers on the main board, which is done at the moment by fire**fly, jamboDP, and xLuckyxAshxWinsx, will continue. (My special thanks to them :))

If anyone has any other suggestions then please speak up.

If anyone is interested in volunteering Im happy to answer any questions about what is involved
I will bump this post occasionally so that more people get to see it.

Comments

• bees**knees
    Options
    ( bumping post)

No volunteers yet
  • sleepyjones
    Options
    Sorry, I don't do the Mag Dailies so I don't think I would be the best person for the job.

I don't really have any interest in them, so to me, the best option is just link to the magazine sites, in the same way the C2W's work ... I'm not sure it's worth/necessary to post each individual competition, but that's my opinion as an "outsider" that doesn't actually do them or ever even look at the thread.
  • bees**knees
    Options
    Thanks Sleepyjones

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about the threads usefulness but never any agreement.

Although many compers never go into the thread there are some who use it every day and others who dip in and out if, for example, they want to check answers etc etc.

The main board posters also often use it to check what has already been posted.

I dont really want this thread to go over it all again. It is simply to ask if anyone wishes to volunteer so that the situation is clear to everyone when I give up posting at the end of the month.

:)
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yeah, sorry ... not been very active on the forums lately so will have probably missed many discussions about it :)

Obviously people have stuff to do, but if someone finds the thread useful then they need to step up and keep it going, too many people on here don't do a thing to help or contribute ... it's just take, take, take ... time for them to step up :)
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I can't volunteer, sorry, as my comping tends to be very sporadic - sometimes I'll get on here every day and be bang up to date, but I'll have weeks where I don't get on at all and am playing catch up. I just couldn't keep up the commitment :(
    If nobody volunteers then I would just bookmark each individual magazine and look at their prize draws page every day.
  • hertzyabazas
    hertzyabazas Posts: 33,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 September 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Enter the dailies once as they're posted so don't the Mag Dailies thread, it so not the ideal person to offer their services.

Agree 100% with sleepyjones 'take take take' comment too.
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your hard work bees :)

I'm sorry, I did say previously that I might be able to help but haven't offered. I don't think I can help unfortunately, my comping is up and down just now, some days I can't get on at all and others I'm on lots. I don't think I could manage to keep it up to date.

Hope you have a nice time overseas :)

too many comps..not enough time!
  • fzz33
    fzz33 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I'm only just starting up comping again last week after a couple of years out. So much has changed and I'm really out of the loop so would be a terrible volunteer atm...

Just an idea, can you edit the first post on the Mag Dailies thread with a big red notice asking for volunteers otherwise the thread will die? It may be that some people don't go on chat corner much, and then the people who actually use it and are familiar with it will be aware that you're retiring OP :)
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I gave it up because I was moving house, and had thought I could take it back again if need be, but life has taken over now. I barely have time to comp ...

Thanks for all you've done so far bees**knees
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    I can do it ...I think....?!
    If people who post the comps are happy to send me a pm with a link to their post on the main page
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure