Mortgage question

Options
Hi

I purchased my property 2 years ago for approx £240k. It was a 2 bed property and need lots of work and I spent £50k on it and it now a large 3 bed room property.

Similar properties down the same road have recently sold for £330k

When I got the mortgage (approx £215k) 2 years ago, the deposit was fairly low (approx £25k) so I don't think we got the best interest rates.

The 2 year fixed rate is finishing soon. Am I correct in thinking that because the property is worth more (subject to a valuation) and I owe slightly less, I could get a better interest rate?

Do I simply contact the lender and say we have done a lot of work and we believe the property is worth x amount?

Thank you

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes. But why stay with the lender when you could get a better rate elsewhere.

Given you are wanting a change in valuation it will be a full application so go to a broker and find the best you can.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I never really thought about changing lender, I naively thought it was best to just stay with the same lender.

I will look in to this in more depth
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask your current lender about customer retention products and consider a remortgage to a new lender as well.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure