Power of Attorney - what's the point of registering with OPG?

Options
As title really, I hold POA (old style) and am trying to sort out my mother's affairs including changing addresses with various pension providers, utility companies etc as she has moved. One has asked for an emailed scan of the POA document, some have asked for nothing at all and some want the full original document which is a pain as I've sent it off to one company and will now have to buy more validated copies or wait and hope they send it back.

I had assumed that once registered, all these companies would have been able to contact the central register and find out quickly that I hold POA but it seems not. I've obviously completely misunderstood though I've looked on the OPG website and it seems a quick process for the companies to go through - in fact anyone can find out.

Is there any easier way to do this? I'm drowning under her paperwork at the moment, we both thought that having POA would mean I would be able to do all this as easily as if she was doing it herself.

Thanks

EJ

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,053 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Once the companies / organisations have a copy of the POA then you CAN operate the accounts as if she were doing it herself. The document is there to provide legal authorisation for you to deal with your mother's affairs, you wouldn't want any old Tom, !!!! or Harry to roll up and say 'I want to do ....with my mother's account'?

Yes, it takes some time but once it's all done it's done. I now keep a validated pdf version on my smartphone so I can email it straight across to organisations if they want it. Hassle free.

I hope you get it all sorted out soon.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Never - ever - send off the original. Only send off certified copies, which is all they need for their purposes.

At least yours is registered, so you can obtain further copies validated by the OPG. Worst case scenario is when someone uses the old-style EPA and sends off the only original and never sees it again, they would have to start from scratch, which can only be done if the donor has mental capacity.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Once the companies / organisations have a copy of the POA then you CAN operate the accounts as if she were doing it herself. The document is there to provide legal authorisation for you to deal with your mother's affairs, you wouldn't want any old Tom, !!!! or Harry to roll up and say 'I want to do ....with my mother's account'?

Yes, it takes some time but once it's all done it's done. I now keep a validated pdf version on my smartphone so I can email it straight across to organisations if they want it. Hassle free.

I hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Thanks. The trouble is most of the companies (private pension etc) want certified copies on paper (sorry, that's what I meant by original). Council tax were happy with a scanned version but others not. I had assumed that registering it with a central base would prevent the need for sending the actual document, whether paper or scan, as the details are on a quickly checked register. It's very easy for me to check the register about anyone, through the online system. Why can't these companies check the same?

Oh well, more stuff sent to try us I suppose! Thanks.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This info is 5 years out of date so may no longer apply. If you need it for the DWP then you can make an appt with the Job Centre & they will copy & sign it. Use it for the DWP & then they return it. I also got another free copy from the solicitors dealing with the house sale - without asking too! Both stamped & signed & accepted by several banks etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure