Meralgia Paraesthetica

Options
Any other sufferers?

Not asking medical advice, just wondering if anyone has any tips on dealing with the 'pain'

I've suffered on and off for the past 20 years and it seems as I'm getting older and more worn out, attacks are more painful and last longer

Right now the 'pain' is making me worn out. Anyone have any success with any other treatments other then tablets ?

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but in what way is asking about treatments for a condition and their success rates not asking for medical advice?
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think Peter is asking for recommendations about medical treatments but rather about self help measures to make him more comfortable.

Peter I read somewhere there is a link between high humidity (which many parts of the the UK are suffering from at the moment and increased sciatica pain, which is similar to your condition). Have you noticed this.

I suffer from a range of muscle and joint issues and I find massage and Physio exercises are helpful, especially as I cannot take the usual prescribed pain relieving meds due to gastro problems.

I know it's hard to exercise when you are in pain but if you can manage some simple stretches to start with it should help.

Have you tried Epsom salt baths. And then applying topical pain relieving gels. They don't "cure" but they do take the edge off the pain. Ultimately though it's down to targeted exercise.

Hope you find something to help you feel more comfortable.
  • Petethespider
    Options
    No Nikki, I'm not asking medical advice, I see my doctor for that

Just asking if there were any other sufferers who have found something that works for them

Lessonlearned, I'm not a Peter :) Confusing name I know, but I'm actually female :)

The reason I have put pain in inverted commas, is because it's not actually pain in the true sense of the word. It's on the thigh, a very altered sensation, numbness but tingling, kind of like when your foot goes dead. But it makes my thigh so sensitive clothes touching is sends like electric shots through me and I dread having to sit on the loo. Brushing against anything can make me Yelp. Bedclothes even 'hurt' It really is the weirdest of sensations to try and explain. It's like the top layer of skin is hyper sensitive , but completely numb underneath that layer

Bathing and showering just make it feel weirder, like it's cold and dead

This attack has gone on for two weeks now and I'm worn out with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family