"4 in 10 adults fail to manage even one brisk 10 minute walk a month"

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
6 replies 2.4K views
mickeymouse303mickeymouse303 Forumite
211 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Not really money saving related, but saw this in the news this morning.

"But six million Britons aged between 40 and 60 do not even achieve this each month, increasing their risk of cancer, heart disease and other major killers, the research found." (Article from the Telegraph)

What are people's thoughts on this? :shocked:

Replies

• victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many adults are physically incapable of a "brisk" walk, ever? Completely meaningless statistic.
  • trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it absolutely is relevant to money saving, if you look at the big picture.

If you do very little exercise you're more likely to suffer from obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc etc. Suffering from these problems will mean taking time off work or having to give up work entirely. Being ill is expensive. To say nothing of the costs to the Health Service.

And walking is the cheapest form of exercise there is.
  • dresdendavedresdendave Forumite
    880 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for encouraging people to exercise more but this is one of those completely meaningless statistics as pointed out in a previous reply.

If I was asked "have you had a brisk ten minute walk in the last month?" my answer would be no. Therefore I would be included in the 40% of adults prone to all these conditions.

If the question was "Do you cycle over 100 miles per month?" or "Do you run at least two 5K's every month?" my answers to both would be yes.

So in order to benefit my health perhaps I should drop the cycling and running and just do ten minutes walking instead?
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walking, particularly brisk walking, is extremely good for the cardio vascular system (heart and lungs), and is also one of the best exercises for helping to prevent osteoporosis, due to the fact that it is weight bearing exercise.
    However, ten minutes a month is nothing, although looking around at folks today, it doesn't surprise me at all.
  • indesisivindesisiv Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was asked "have you had a brisk ten minute walk in the last month?" my answer would be no. Therefore I would be included in the 40% of adults prone to all these conditions.

If the question was "Do you cycle over 100 miles per month?" or "Do you run at least two 5K's every month?" my answers to both would be yes.

Agree with this, it really depends on what they have actually asked and how its been analysed.
    Like you I would have to answer no to this as I haven't done a brisk 10 min walk in the last month.
    I do run 50 miles a week though :rotfl:
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well I was one of those people who could not answer yes to that. I used to do a lot of sport as a youngster and then a lot of walking probably up to my mid thirties and then life just took over.

I can see how easy it is not to exercise.

You commute to work in your car, sit down at a desk all day with the most walking done just across the office to the photocopier. You eat a sandwich at your desk and dont move all afternoon until you get in your car to go back home.

You are then shattered from a days inertia and lack of fresh air, walk to the kitchen to make a bowl of pasta and then to the sofa for an evening telly. Up to bed and it all starts again the next day.

Weekends are spent doing chores and shopping ready for it all to start again the following week.

You have to be really motivated to build exercise in your routine and not many people are prepared to be at the gym at six am or 8pm.

I realise a sedentary life is no good so have just joined a walking club to break this cycle. 8 - 10 miles a weekend is better than nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides