Options
15678911»

Comments

• skycatcher
    skycatcher Posts: 330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jennyjj wrote: »
    Good point. They probably fear that we will game the system by going on diets, joining a gym and looking both ways when crossing the road.
    :beer:

Not on my watch:rotfl:
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robin61 wrote: »
    I'm coming around to taking the higher starting pension in return for a semi index linked option. ...
    I'm thinking that this is a good way of smoothing out the amount of revenue I have in retirement. I think I'd like a bit more when I'm younger.
    Well, after much humming and harr-ing, I've opted to take it 1 year before 60th at standard terms (TFLS=3 x pension). The Actuarial reduction hit was 4.2%

I guess I have the rest of my life to regret the decision.

Now.... what to do with that juicy TFLS?:beer:
  • skycatcher
    Options
    Well, after much humming and harr-ing, I've opted to take it 1 year before 60th at standard terms (TFLS=3 x pension). The Actuarial reduction hit was 4.2%

Congratulations.... You've done the hardest bit... Make the decision... I dint think there is a wrong or right one... Enjoy the fruits of your labour for a very very long time:T
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options

Congrats. I doubt you will have any regrets. You've done what you were most comfortable with and really there aren't any bad options.
  • robin61
    Options
    skycatcher wrote: »
    I'm sure the actuaries must have a spreadsheet to model all the options and the impact of inflation... Pity we don't have access! Why should it be a secret... It's our pension and do we not employ them via the trustees?

I would bet that on average it's probably better for them if people take the semi index linked option and/or take a larger lump sum.
    But then there are individual things that need to be taken into account such as other income you may be getting in the future and whether you want more money when you are younger or older.
    I guess it's nice to have these choices but they are not easy to make. I have changed my way of thinking a couple of times already.
  • skycatcher
    Options
    I would bet that on average it's probably better for them if people take the semi index linked option and/or take a larger lump sum.
    But then there are individual things that need to be taken into account such as other income you may be getting in the future and whether you want more money when you are younger or older.
    I guess it's nice to have these choices but they are not easy to make. I have changed my way of thinking a couple of times already.

I always thought I'd take the standard offering but I think I'll dig out my last quote and re examine the other options again:eek:
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always thought I'd take the standard offering but I think I'll dig out my last quote and re examine the other options again:eek:
    That way lies madness:mad:
    :undecided
  • robin61
    Options

Same here. Until a colleague knocked up a really good spreadsheet where you can model whatever CPI rate you want and look at the break even points. It really focussed my mind as to how long it was probably going to take to break even.
    For me, I have a decent AVC so I don't have to sacrifice pension to get the max. At least that's one decision that's easy.
  • skycatcher
    Options
    Same here. Until a colleague knocked up a really good spreadsheet where you can model whatever CPI rate you want and look at the break even points. It really focussed my mind as to how long it was probably going to take to break even.
    For me, I have a decent AVC so I don't have to sacrifice pension to get the max. At least that's one decision that's easy.

Don't suppose there is shareable version of that spreadsheet? I have no AVCs - I left in 2003 and put the max from my leavers package into the main pension - so only have 3 options to consider!
  • robin61
    Options
    Don't suppose there is shareable version of that spreadsheet? I have no AVCs - I left in 2003 and put the max from my leavers package into the main pension - so only have 3 options to consider!

If you send me a private message with your e mail details I will e mail it to you on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure