Robinson Way trouble

Options
Good afternoon!

I am having some trouble, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

RW contacted me informing me of a debt I had no recollection of. I sent them a letter informing them of the proper practice of having to inform me of the origins and details of the debt in question. They provided details of which I was reminded that I do indeed owe this money.

They did not provide any other information apart from the bank (the debt is from a defaulted overdraft) and the time it was defaulted.

Since that letter I have sent an email offering an amount as full and final settlement... but they are just ignoring me. Whenever I contact them they will not communicate anything apart from asking for my personal details (of which they will not be getting!)

What do I do? I plan to send the F+F letter by recorded post this week, but I am worried they are just going to act dubiously based on their current behaviour.

Any ideas on what to do? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Danfortesque2
    Options
    Also the "proof" that they sent was a typed letter by RW. It was not my original overdraft agreement in print, does this change things? Are they trying to dupe me?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

They won't acknowledge you in an email as email is not secure, anything to do with debt matters should be addressed in writing.

To make a settlement offer you should put it in writing using the national debtline template letter available here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-%28sole-name%29.aspx

You do not sign an agreement for an overdraught, so no it doesn't change anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Danfortesque2
    Options
    That's great, thank you! I am not too up to speed on how to go about this!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Good afternoon!

I am having some trouble, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

RW contacted me informing me of a debt I had no recollection of. I sent them a letter informing them of the proper practice of having to inform me of the origins and details of the debt in question. They provided details of which I was reminded that I do indeed owe this money.

They did not provide any other information apart from the bank (the debt is from a defaulted overdraft) and the time it was defaulted.

That default date wasn't more than six years ago, was it?
  • Danfortesque2
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    That default date wasn't more than six years ago, was it?

Just under six years yes, pretty bad timing.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The National Debtline standard letter doesn't acknowledge the debt - it's headed 'without prejudice' so can't be used in court proceedings.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-%28sole-name%29.aspx

The clock is still ticking.

They either need to accept your offer or start a court claim.
  • Danfortesque2
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    The National Debtline standard letter doesn't acknowledge the debt - it's headed 'without prejudice' so can't be used in court proceedings.

The clock is still ticking.

They either need to accept your offer or start a court claim.

Thank you! Yes, I do hope they accept, if anything just to stop the customary repeated phone calls from companies other than the DCA. Since being in contact with them I've been getting calls from unknown numbers, calls from different companies in the area of the DCA and even calls from Danish numbers!

Would DCAs usually go for court claims for around the amount of £500? I am prepared to cooperate if I am liable for the debt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Been known to go to court for less than £200 on occasion.

No way of knowing what they will do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Keep communicating with them until the 6-year deadline has passed, then tell them it is now statute barred.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Danfortesque2
    Options
    Hi!

After sending them the F+F letter I have been sent a letter by RobWay asking for the amount that is able to be raised and where it is coming from (both addressed in the F+F letter) and a full breakdown of my monthly income and expenditure and when the funds would be available.

This is ringing alarm bells as everything but the income and outgoings have already been addressed in a signed for delivery (will be sending any more correspondence on full recorded delivery from now on!)

...but the biggest alarm bell was rung when at the bottom of the letter, in reference to my offer of £200 they said:

"On receipt of this information we will review your offer and respond to you promptly. Please note that if you pay your account by way of a reduced settlement, where your account is recorded on your credit file, this will be updated as partially settled with a zero balance outstanding and not as settled or satisfied. You can either send the details to the address above or email us at <shamefulscammers>@Robway.com" (email address adjusted to reflect facts!)

Clearly I can see this is a transparent attempt to hold my account as open (and probably add charges and sell the "debt" on)

Do you know what I should do? I would obviously like to settle F+F with them but they clearly do not want to play ball. I don't want to let them pull this fast one, but if worst comes to worst I will have to pay the amount bit by bit. How do I tell them to naff off with this nonsense and let me pay them an amount per month? I may be able to pay the full amount with no reductions in a couple of months, which I would prefer not to do, but if this gets rid of them..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure