Making Christmas memories.......ideas needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sammy-Kaye,
    Yes I think the Santa Claus Autobiography would be fine for a seven year old if it's being read to them. It starts with Nicolas in Myra and goes through how he becomes Santa, how he meets his helpers, (most are historical figures such as Amelia Earhart) and also how he meets Mrs Claus and how he manages to deliver all the presents in time for Christmas Day, there is a lovely bit about how after Nicolas starts gifting other people do too, which might be nice for your son with his ideas on giving to the homeless - which I think is lovely by the way.

Sounds a good idea about the tree with a new dog, mine chewed through several sets of lights the first year I had him, they were battery operated so no nasty shocks.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Reb2016 wrote: »
    Hi Sammy-Kaye,
    Yes I think the Santa Claus Autobiography would be fine for a seven year old if it's being read to them. It starts with Nicolas in Myra and goes through how he becomes Santa, how he meets his helpers, (most are historical figures such as Amelia Earhart) and also how he meets Mrs Claus and how he manages to deliver all the presents in time for Christmas Day, there is a lovely bit about how after Nicolas starts gifting other people do too, which might be nice for your son with his ideas on giving to the homeless - which I think is lovely by the way.

Sounds a good idea about the tree with a new dog, mine chewed through several sets of lights the first year I had him, they were battery operated so no nasty shocks.

That book sounds fab. I will definitely look into getting it and then they can have a cwtch with hot chocolate and a halter before bed

What breed of dog do you have? Our new pup is a jack Russell x chihuahua so I'm hoping the table will be taller than she is.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    What breed of dog do you have? Our new pup is a jack Russell x chihuahua so I'm hoping the table will be taller than she is.

Aw bless.
    She's probably in more danger of being stepped on than wrecking the Christmas tree.
    And at least dogs can't climb trees. :D

Hop over to the Pets board & post some pics when you've got her home.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Aw bless.
    She's probably in more danger of being stepped on than wrecking the Christmas tree.
    And at least dogs can't climb trees. :D

Hop over to the Pets board & post some pics when you've got her home.

Will do :-)
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • chocolatebum
    Options
    Reb2016 wrote: »
    a possible book idea, is the autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn, it has 24 chapters so the idea is to read a chapter a day, I'm in my 40's and love it, but I am a big fan of Christmas :-) it tells the story of how St Nicolas became Santa Claus and even explains how the reindeer are able to fly, he also has two other books The Great Santa Search and How Mrs Claus saved Christmas, which are also very good.

That sounds a great book, thanks for the recommendation i have just ordered a copy :j
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options

He's a pomerian, so also quite small, I just don't decorate the lower branches which solves the problem, just have a slightly strange looking tree :rotfl:
    That sounds a great book, thanks for the recommendation i have just ordered a copy :j

I'll be digging mine out in December never too old for a good Christmas story 😀
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We always went for a drive around the area to see all the lights - and criticise the ones who had blue lights that we hated!
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Sammykaye18- I think it is absolutely wonderful that you want to make Christmas a wonderful and special time. Making memories with your children is priceless! You have some amazing ideas and the other people have suggested some wonderful things also. It sounds like there are lots of amazing things to do in your area. We are hoping to do some similar activities. I made an advent calender last year and I am planning on doing a fun activity everyday for us all as a family. One of the activities will be to watch Polar Express then we all get PJs on and drive around the town looking at christmas decorations. We will have popcorn/ snacks already prepared but will stop at a starbuck/costa for hot drinks enroute. very excited about this one. Even printed off Polar Express tickets to give to the kids! My DS is 15 in october but he plays along for his little sisters sake and secretly I think he still likes doing the fun stuff.
    Also we have booked for a pantomime in the next town to us. We have booked early as it is very popular. £24 for a family ticket of 4. That is the weekend of the 16th dec. We are currently planning a Christmas Carol Service at our church for the 23rd or 24th Dec. We will put hot chocolate on, mince pies, gingerbread christmas trees and snowmen etc. Cannot wait xx

Whatever you do, your kids will always remember the amazing time they had at Christmas and carry on the traditions with their children to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure