Here goes....

Options
124»

Comments

• fruitloop04
    Options
    Thanks tempus_fugit. I would love to be at the stage where it feels good not to spend money, hopefully that is not too far away :) Good idea about the diary, it will hold myself accountable for my spending too! I have set myself a challenge in the DFW challenge section of spending £10 only this week. I am already planning on strategies to not spend in town when I go and get my euros this weekend (I haven't included that in the £10 as it is preplanned!)
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Cirias
    Cirias Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I totally get that lots of people will disagree with me, but unless it's for a special occasion, spending any sort of money on "nice wine" is money down the drain. Looking at it logically, it's just a drink made out of grapes - why does it have such a culture built around it? Get a water with your meal instead and you're still drinking something. If you want something alcoholic, order a beer or single glass of less expensive wine.

I have family members who buy two bottles of wine every single night. Surely that's got to add up to hundreds of pounds a month? That money could be used to go away on a really nice holiday every few years, or keep aside for savings.
  • fruitloop04
    Options
    Hi Cirias,
    I have told the OH we are cutting down how we drink (and also eating out) and instead have a special bottle once a month. Better for our bank balance and our health! The OH works in the wine trade and is quite poncy about wine but there is a difference in the quality!
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport