ThelittleladyandI

Options

Comments

• Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Well I would have achived my to do list today if I could find my pesky hole punch to make the file! Have searched high and low and now I give up. Rather than buy one I think k.l borrow from work on Monday.

I feel really sad today. The little lady is with her dad and I miss her. And I'm lonely but I know I need to pull myself together.

I've ordered a few Christmas presents off Amazon and I'm becoming very keen to get all the Christmas presents sorted well in advance of December just to make it a less stressful time. I'm already a little anxious as what my first Xmas on my own will be like! Well on my own with the little lady! I jjust want to make sure presents are bought and paid for so I don't have to worry about that cost.

I'm waiting to hear any news from her benefits people to see if I can get any help. I've googled to see how long it usually takes and I think I have a while to wait......

without dd being here I'm s bit lost. I don't know what to do with myself. Perhaps write a meal plan....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your little lady will be home soon. I imagine it will be hard for you in the early stages of handing her over to her dad , but I am sure it will get easier.

When you are used to it , maybe invite a friend over or go out and enjoy yourself . You deserve a rest after coping on your own all week.
    On Christmas I have already done dome Christmas shopping , I never leave it till last minute.

Try not to be sad , have a nice bath and have an early night .
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Thanks Cumbrialass, I know your right and next time she throws a strop I'll be wishing I hadn't wasted the child free time!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Last Christmas was my first Christmas without the ex and I read somewhere about making new traditions. We usually have extended family with us, so the best thing I could think of was breakfast treat, so we had croissants for breakfast, which is new for us. The children enjoyed it and one was asking if we could do it again this year.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Honeysuckle, I love this idea. Im still not sure how Christmas will be organised yet but I'm defintely going to go for a Christmas breakfst. I'm a real fan of Pinterest and there was some lovely pins on there of chrostmas morning breakfasts with snowmen shaped pancakes and a table laid up really festively! I'm pretty creative so think I could probably knock something like that up in the cheap! New traditions, you've really got me thinking....
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    So it's Sunday so I can post up my weeks spending. (After the longest lay in I have had since dd was born, blissful!)

Week 3

Mon 14th August - no spend day
    Tuesday 15th August - no spend day
    Wednesday 16th August- Aldi top up shop £ 7.09
    entry to dance and music workshop for dd £3.00
    Thursday 17th August - no spend day
    Friday 18th August - parking £3.00
    Lunch out £33.25
    Wine as gift for a host £12.00
    Diet coke 1.35
    Saturday 19th August - tesco food £14.35
    xmas pressie for dd £29.99
    Xmas pressie for friend £18.49
    Sunday 20th August - no spend day (so far but it's only 10.00am)

Didn't manage to sell anything on eBay etc. this week despite listings.
    But defintely 3 no spend days possibly 4 if I can resist temptation today. I'm really pleased with this. I aim for 3 no spend days and so far since I started his debt free journey at the beginning of the month I have managed it every week!

Total spends this week of 122.52. It's the highest that it has been this month. I will try hard to get it a little lower next week. But in that is two Christmas presents so it's not terrible.

I'm still making a payment a day to the cc. I am looking forward to finding out how much I manage to get gone by the end of the month!

I need to start having a proper think about an emergency fund. How much should I aim for? Do people work I out as a certain number of months mortgage and bills so that they know they have enough money to carry on living normally for 3, 6 months? Or do people just pick an amount for things like if the boiler breaks down. I suppose I could start with a smaller amount and then once the debt is paid back build it up to be larger? I do like to have a figure in mind to aim for.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I'm striving to reach £500 first, then go on from there.

Well done on the NSD s.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Sunday to do list

1. Cc payment
    2. Hang laundry out and put away
    3. Make a lasagne
    4. Clear out he cupboard of doom
    5. Borrow hole punch and make my file
    6. General clean and tidy of house
    7. Walk doggy
    8. Wash dd bedding
    9. Food inventory (aim to not spend much on food next week)
    10.move boxes into the garage
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,608 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I need to start having a proper think about an emergency fund. How much should I aim for? Do people work I out as a certain number of months mortgage and bills so that they know they have enough money to carry on living normally for 3, 6 months? Or do people just pick an amount for things like if the boiler breaks down. I suppose I could start with a smaller amount and then once the debt is paid back build it up to be larger? I do like to have a figure in mind to aim for.

An emergency fund is essential especially when you are trying to get rid of debt. Otherwise the temptation is there to spend on a credit card. It is a balance though initially as unless all your debt is on 0% the most efficient way of clearing debt is to put all spare income towards that. I personally would not aim for a full emergency fund (which is 3-6 months essential spends) until the debt is gone or almost gone. If you have a house or a car then £500-£1000 should be enough to start with. When the debt is gone then increase to 3-6 months spends which should also be enough to cover a new boiler. It is a moving target though as if you have an old car or boiler and your job is erratic income then having a larger emergency fund is better. Depends on circumstances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Thanks enthusiasticsaver. I think I'll start with £1000 as I have both a car and a house. And then once all the debt is paid back I can add to that to build up a nice pot in case anything happens unexpectedly. It will be nice to have that feeling of security.

I have achived my to do list for today. Dad gave me some veg from his garden so threw that it'll the lasagne. Just waiting for it to cook and cool. I'll pop some portions in the freezer for a later date!

The only thing that I'm still working on is the cupboard of doom. I've done about half. Might have another go this evening once little lady is in bed.

Speaking of which. Little lady is home and I'm loving it!

I spoke to dds dad about taking his name off the joint account and transferring a finance agreement into my name and account as its furniture that's at the house so it's only fair. He was happy with that and agreed to do it within the next month because of some dd that he has going out of the joint account that need to go to his account. This all makes sense and it will be good to have the two accounts for all my bills etc. without his name on anything.

I have now tv which costs £16.98 per month. I'm not sure whether to cancel it or not? I am on my own most evenings now and I suppose it would be good to keep it for that but then I think it would be a good saving too? Not sure about this, something to think about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure