Mortgage payment by cashback credit card

Options
13»

Comments

• zalek
    zalek Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, no luck with Scottish Widows. The girl on the phone explained that they cannot stop DD. The only thing, she said, that could help is this. They try to DD. Not enough money in account - they try again after 15 days. If again no money, then they charge 25 quid. After that, yes, you can go on the phone and pay with card. She said if that payment is made withing 28 days of original DD date, you don't get penalized with them loggin missed payment on your credit rating.

So, basicly, not worth a hassle.
  • nick1977
    nick1977 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but does anyone know if Nationwide will accept mortgage payments by CC? I've got a 0% on purchases card until july 09 with about £5k left on it so I could make a nice amount in a high interest account! :D
    (Bit worried about calling them and asking in case they think I'm struggling with payments)

Thanks in advance
    Nick
    £5850 in the rainy day fund - target £9000
    £575 in OH 40th BDay Account - target £5000 by April 2013 :eek:
  • zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm with Abbey so it sounds as if i could also temporarily stop my DD payment and instead make a "one-off" payment with my Amex Platinum card (currently getting 5% cashback).

Can anyone tell me how far in advance of your usual DD payment date did you phone up and ask for it to be temporarily cancelled and make your CC payment instead?
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • esthomizzy
    esthomizzy Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    I tried this with First Active and they said no can do under any circumstances. This is a big shame as the cashback on my hefty mortgage would be very nice indeed. Ahh well. Maybe when I remortgage.
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 892 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zebedy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm with Abbey so it sounds as if i could also temporarily stop my DD payment and instead make a "one-off" payment with my Amex Platinum card (currently getting 5% cashback).

Can anyone tell me how far in advance of your usual DD payment date did you phone up and ask for it to be temporarily cancelled and make your CC payment instead?

A few days? I was once too late and just did it via the bank instead and stopped the payment that way. I wouldn't advise that though! I got a scary letter from mortgage people telling me I was in arrears by £0.00. Obviously computer generated as I had paid by card (hence the £0.00), but spent a few weeks worrying what I'd done to my credit rating!
  • zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    Bummer! I just phoned Abbey planning to pay my normal monthly mortgage payment using my Amex Platinum (to get the 5% cashback) but they told me they don't accept Amex Platinum but accept all other cc's.

I was really looking forward to the idea of getting 5% of my usual monthly nortgage payment back for the next 2 months.
    I'd better check out Martin's article and forum discussions on which is the next best cashback credit card - any suggestions?

I think the 4% one (capitalone) is coming to an end so that won't be worth it.
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zebedy wrote: »
    I think the 4% one (capitalone) is coming to an end so that won't be worth it.
    That card was pulled a short while ago.

Barclaycard have extended the 4% intro rate (0.5% thereafter) until 30/9/08 for new applications (might get you two payments, so hardly worth it?).

Several others offering 1%.

http://www.stoozing.com/cashback.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family