Borrowing money from colleagues

JReacher1
JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 9 August 2017 at 9:16AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I run a small team of 15 people and I have found out that one of my team has asked another member of the team if they can borrow some money (£500).

The person who has been asked is reasonably well off (yearly salary of around £80k) but he is also naive and is a bit of a soft touch. I am not convinced the debt will ever be repaid.

My question is does this have anything to do with me at all? The request was made privately in work so I am unsure if it is something I should be getting involved in or just completely mind my own business.

Anyone have any advice?

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "My question is does this have anything to do with me at all?"

I would say not.
  • JReacher1
    z1a wrote: »
    "My question is does this have anything to do with me at all?"

I would say not.

Yes I agree you're probably right,

My concern is if the debt isn't paid it creates an awkward situation within the team.
  • z1a
    I would say it would only be awkward for the borrower.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    z1a wrote: »
    I would say it would only be awkward for the borrower.

I'd find it really awkward if I lent money to a colleague and it then became clear they had no intention of paying it back. It would make it very difficult to work with them going forward. That could have a knock on effect on others in the team.

I think the answer to the OP depends on how the OP found out about this. If from the person who was asked to lend the money, then I think they are making this a work related issue and expecting the OP to get involved. If it's general office tittle tattle, may be worth asking HR for their advice if you have one.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Y
    My concern is if the debt isn't paid it creates an awkward situation within the team.

Irrelevant, you cannot know that will occur and you deal with that if it happens but until then it is a private matter between two competent adults. If my team manager stuck their nose in to my personal business and tried to interfere my next stop would be a formal complaint about said team manager.
  • markdebby
    markdebby Posts: 156 Forumite
    How do you know about the money? If the person who is going to lend the money told you then he has involved you.
  • JReacher1
    markdebby wrote: »
    How do you know about the money? If the person who is going to lend the money told you then he has involved you.

Yes the lender told me about it (but out of the office). He had agreed to lend the money but was having second thoughts.
  • JReacher1
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Irrelevant, you cannot know that will occur and you deal with that if it happens but until then it is a private matter between two competent adults. If my team manager stuck their nose in to my personal business and tried to interfere my next stop would be a formal complaint about said team manager.

On what grounds would you make this complaint?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some employers forbid lending money to colleaagues
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • z1a
    Some employers forbid lending money to colleaagues

Who????????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts